Nut Butter & Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches
I am really excited to share the recipe for these nut butter and banana ice cream sandwiches. The cookies are soft and nutty and make a perfect base for the smooth and creamy ice cream.
Ice cream sandwiches are one of my favourite summer treats, and I can honestly say that these are just as good if not better then any version containing dairy, sugar and gluten.
Between baking the cookies and making the ice cream, frozen sandwiches can often be quite an undertaking, but this recipe could not be easier.
First off, the ice cream contains just 1 ingredient. Yup, that’s right, just bananas, nothing else. There is no ice cream machine required, just frozen sliced bananas and a blender.
The cookie base is also easy to prepare and incredibly versatile. You can use any kind of nut butter including peanut, almond, cashew or hazelnut, or for anyone with a nut allergy, sunflower butter would also work well.
I didn’t have any nut butter on hand, so I put 2 cups of toasted almonds in a food processor and blended them to create almond butter. You could also do a combination of a few different nuts depending on what you have in your cupboard.
I find making one big slab of cookie and cutting it in half to sandwich the ice cream, is a lot easier then making individual cookies. This method also makes it much easier to wrap everything up as one to freeze rather then individual sandwiches.
Just make sure that the cookies are completely cool before topping with the banana ice cream, patience is key!
As a special treat for friends I dipped some of the sandwich squares in chocolate for added decadence, but for anyone on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, don’t worry, they are just as good without.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Nut Butter & Banana Ice Cream SandwichesLeave a Review »
Banana Ice Cream
- 4 bananas
Nut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter or almond, hazelnut or cashew
- 1 egg or 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp hot water
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Slice the bananas into small pieces and lay out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for a minimum of 1 hour or until ready to use.
- Place the frozen banana slices into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. You can store the ice cream in a container in the freezer until you are ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In a mixing bowl combine the nut butter, egg, honey and vanilla extract. Blend until well combined and then add in the almond flour and baking soda.
- Once combined empty the mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread out into an even rectangular shape. Spread the mixture as thin as possible.
- Bake the cookie for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden in colour. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Cut the cookie in half lengthwise, this will make it easier to lift it off the baking sheet.
- Place a large sheet of cling film on the counter and then place the cookie halves, topside facing down, onto it.
- Spread the banana ice cream onto one of the cookie halves, ensuring its evenly spread to the edges and corners. Place the other cookie half on top of the ice cream and then wrap the entire sandwich in the cling film and place in the freezer for approximately an hour or until the cookies have frozen and the ice cream is firm.
- Once completely frozen, cut into 9 equal sized squares. If desired melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl in the microwave and then dip the sandwich squares in. Place in the freezer to allow the chocolate to harden before serving.*