Paleo Breakfast Cookies are a healthy alternative and low in sugar, and dairy and grain free! A great on the go breakfast! These cookies are also Gluten Free, and SCD Legal.
I am sure that the words breakfast cookie go against everything you were ever taught about a healthy start to the day, but don’t let the name deceive you. These breakfast cookies are in the shape of a cookie, but have the same texture as the top of a muffin and they also happen to be healthy!
Unlike traditional cookies, they are primarily sweetened with pureed bananas, which gives them a deliciously soft and moist texture. The batter is lightly spiced with a combination of cinnamon and mixed spice, giving each cookie a nice autumn like flavour.
Every bite of the Paleo Breakfast Cookie is packed with crunch from the chopped walnuts and a burst of juicy sweetness from the dried blueberries. That being said you can easily swap the walnuts for pecans, almonds or hazelnuts, and dried cherries, cranberries or raisins can also work in place of the blueberries.
I enjoy having one or two of these paleo breakfast cookies in the morning with my coffee, and then sneak in a few more with my afternoon tea. Because they are low in sugar and have a decent amount of protein, there is no need for guilt, and they help keep your fueled throughout the morning.
Have ripe bananas? Here are a few other banana recipes that you will love:
- Banana Bread Mug Cake
- Upside Down Caramelized Banana Bread in a Skillet
- Extra Banana Banana Pancakes
- The Best Banana Bread
- Ginger Spiced Banana Bread
- Almond Butter Banana Bread with a Jam Swirl
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice or all spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds, hazelnuts or pecans
- 2/3 cup dried blueberries or dried cherries or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the bananas, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and honey and blend until the bananas are completely mashed and everything is combined.
- Stir in the cinnamon, mixed spice, baking soda, almond flour, coconut flour and coconut and mix well.
- Finally add in the chopped walnuts and dried blueberries and mix until well combined.
- On a parchment paper lined baking sheet drop large spoonfuls of the batter and then gently press down on each to slightly flatten.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 15 minutes until golden on top. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store them in an air tight container, they will stay fresh for 4 to 5 days.