Roasted Red Cabbage with Mint, Hazelnuts & Balsamic Orange Glaze
How gorgeous are these slices of roasted red cabbage? My experimentation with this vibrant vegetable has been limited to shredding it for salads in the past, but I wanted to come up with a fun and more flavourful way of serving it.
I decided to try a different technique of cutting it, avoiding the traditional shredding method and trying to create a steak like piece, similar to the cauliflower steaks I made previously. As long as you keep a portion of the white stem at the base of each steak, they should hold together well.
The red cabbage is baked in the oven for about 25 minutes until tender and slightly browned on the outer leaves. The slices are then coated in a sweet orange juice and balsamic sauce and then topped with shredded mint, hazelnuts and orange zest.
There are so many different flavours and textures in this recipe, it will be a star side dish at any meal. Plus its hard not to ooh and aah at just how pretty it is. I love the deep purpley-blue colour the cabbage turns when baked.
Not only is this dish delicious, its also incredibly healthy. Red cabbage is a nutritional powerhouse, with more vitamin C per 100grams then oranges! It also contains phytonutrients, which help to combat inflammation, a big bonus for anyone like myself who suffers from an autoimmune disease. It’s also worth noting, that red cabbage is ranked by the Environmental Working Group’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce as one of the top 5 fruits and vegetables with the lowest amount of pesticide residue.
Although red cabbage can be found all year round in grocery stores, it’s in season during the winter months. I think this dish really showcases the best of what’s in abundance this time of year, hazelnuts, oranges and red cabbage, it’s a winning combination.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Roasted Red Cabbage with Orange, Hazelnuts & Mint
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup (omit if Whole30)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 head red cabbage
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 tbsp shredded fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In a small sauce pan combine the orange juice, olive oil, balsamic and honey (or maple syrup) and bring to a boil on medium heat. Once the mixture has boiled, reduce the heat to low.
- Cut the red cabbage into slices approximately 1/2 an inch thick, making sure that you include a portion of the stem in each slice so that the steaks hold together.
- Lay the red cabbage slices on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and brush with some of the orange and balsamic liquid. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, removing from the oven and brushing with more liquid half way through cooking. The red cabbage is done when the stem of each slice is tender.
- Place the red cabbage slices on a serving tray, brush with any remaining orange and balsamic liquid and top with the shredded mint, chopped hazelnuts and orange zest. Enjoy!