Brussels Sprout Chips
Looking for a healthy snack? These brussels sprout chips are crispy, crunchy and a great alternative to traditional chips. The brussels sprout leaves are tossed in spices and baked in the oven until golden and crisp. This healthy snack is Whole30, Paleo, Keto, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
When it comes to homemade vegetable chips, I have never made a batch I haven’t liked (and devoured), butternut squash…yes please! Spiced Carrot, why the heck not! I now have a new veggie chip to add to the list which might just be my favourite.
First let me start by saying these chips are so crispy! I didn’t expect the brussels sprout leaves to become like a thin potato chip in texture when baked in the oven, but they really do!
You could season the leaves with all sorts of spices before baking, but I like sticking to the simple cumin and paprika combo, which is one of my favourites.
There are a couple of things I want to point out about making these chips. Firstly, peeling off each leaf takes a bit of patience, but if you cut into the sprout and remove a large piece of the stem/core, it will make removing the leaves a lot easier. You will be left with the middle of each sprout which is too small to peel, don’t throw them away, they can be shredded and used in salad or as a side dish.
Another good tip is to place all of the leaves facing downward on the baking tray. It takes a few extra minutes to flip them all the same way, but this will ensure they cook evenly and slow the edges from burning too quickly.
I want to warn you in advance that these Paleo Brussels Sprout Chips are so good, they will disappear quickly, so double, or even triple the recipe just to be safe.
Here are a few other side dishes that you might enjoy:
- Brussels Sprout & Bacon Hash
- Honey Mustard Glazed Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprout, Apple & Walnut Slaw
- Asian Brussels Sprouts
- Sheet Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, Bacon & Red Onion
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Brussels Sprout Chips
- 450 grams brussel sprouts 1lbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Remove the leaves off of the brussel sprouts by cutting into the center of each to hollow out the stem (see the photo above). This will make it easier to peel off each layer of leaves. You will have about 4 cups of leaves.
- Place the leaves in a bowl, and toss in the olive oil and spices. Toss with your hands until the leaves are all evenly coated. Lay the leaves out on a baking sheet, trying to ensure that they all face downwards (better for cooking evenly)
- Bake in the oven for approximately 8 minutes, check to see if any are browning too quickly, if so remove them and continue to bake for another 5 to 7 minutes until they are all crispy and golden in colour. Keep an eye on them to make sure they do not burn. Serve warm