Lemon Roasted Green Beans with Almonds & Shallots
Roasted green beans are one of my favourite snacks. If you have never tried roasted beans…..stop reading this, and go turn on your oven. The flavour and delicious texture they develop once roasted is soooooo good.
I have been wanting to share a roasted green bean recipe for awhile now, but green beans tossed in olive oil and cooked in the oven for 15 minutes seemed a little too simple, even by my standards.
Although this recipe is still very simple, there are a few extra ingredients that really pump up the flavour without overpowering the star of the show, the roasted beans!
The sauce is very basic and contains just olive oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic and shallots and a drop of honey (or other sweetener of choice). The zest flavour of lemon becomes much more subtle once cooked, and the chopped shallots become slightly caramelized and stick to the beans. Before serving lemon zest and flaked almonds are added to the beans for added crunch.
This is such a simple side dish that can go with literally anything, from fish, to steak to a turkey dinner. The leftovers are also delicious cold, and I have been eating them as a salad for the past few days.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Lemon Roasted Green Beans with Almonds & ShallotsLeave a Review »
- 200 grams green beans ends removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup (omit for whole30)
- 1 large clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 shallot 1 tbsp finely chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds toasted
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the green beans in a bowl
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, chopped shallot and salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the green beans and toss until they are well coated.
- Evenly lay the green beans out on a baking sheet. Place the tray in the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes, stirring the beans half way through to ensure they cook evenly. Remove from the oven once they are tender and slightly browned in spots.
- Toss the beans with the flaked almonds and lemon zest before serving.