Roasted Fennel with Garlic & Herbs
This Roasted Fennel is buttery, caramelized on the edges and deliciously sweet in flavour. This is an easy to prepare side dish that goes fantastically well with roast chicken or fish.
This Roasted Fennel is one of my favourite side dishes because it’s incredibly easy to make, and so delicious. Fennel transforms when roasted, losing all of its licorice flavour and crunchy texture to become caramelized, soft and deliciously buttery. If you hate raw fennel, please don’t write this vegetable off until you have tried roasting it first, there is almost zero resemblance between the two.
Why you are going to love this dish:
- Prep it ahead: it’s a great side dish to prepare for a dinner party. The fennel can be cut and topped with the herbs and garlic up to a day in advance and then put in the oven 30 minutes before eating.
- The caramelized and buttery flavour: the fennel becomes soft and practically melts in your mouth when roasted. Thanks to its mild flavour, it’s a great side dish to serve with a bold main as there is no risk in the flavours clashing.
- Not a fan of the sharp licorice taste raw fennel? I don’t blame you. Raw it can be a bit too overpowering a flavour for some, but once roasted any taste of licorice disappears. Don’t write off fennel until you have tried it roasted, it truly becomes a completely different vegetable
- It is suitable for almost any diet: I love sprinkling parmesan cheese over the top of the fennel for added saltiness but if you are on a Dairy Free diet the fennel will still be delicious without it.
How to serve this roast fennel:
- As a side dish: it is a great accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken (especially roast chicken!)
- Added to a salad: Leftover roasted fennel is delicious added warm or cold into a salad. You can even use it to make this Green Bean & Roasted Fennel Salad
- Leftovers can be added into a frittata: Add leftovers into a frittata with spinach, red onion and tomatoes.
- Stir it into pasta: Leftover roasted fennel can be added into a pasta dish such as zoodles with chopped bacon and a light garlic oil sauce.
Here are a few other fennel recipes that you will love:
- Green Bean & Roasted Fennel Salad
- Caramelized Leek, Fennel & Onion Gratin
- Crispy Lemon & Herb Chicken with Fennel
- Fennel, Pickled Onion & Apple Salad
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Roasted Fennel with Garlic & Herbs
- 2 large bulbs fennel
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 cup parmesan (omit if Dairy Free/Paleo/Vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius)
- Remove any of the stalks from the fennel bulbs and then cut them in half lengthwise. Cut each halved fennel bulb into 1 inch thick slices and arrange the slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet ensuring that they are all laid out evenly and do not overlap.
- In a bowl combine the olive oil and minced garlic and brush it over the sliced fennel and then sprinkle the thyme, salt and pepper overtop to ensure they are all well seasoned.
- Bake the fennel in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes if using parmesan, sprinkle it over the fennel and then return the tray to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of baking the fennel should be tender and caramelized on the edges. Serve warm.