Lemon Cookies with Lemon Icing
While some people like chocolate, pistachio or caramel, I love anything and everything lemon flavoured. Lemon cheesecake, cupcakes or curd, if it contains even a splash of lemon juice or zest then it’s my kind of dessert.
These cookies have lemon in both the cookie base and icing, and they are really really good. The cookie base is slightly chewy while the icing, ooohh the icing. I can honestly say that this is the best dairy free icing I have ever tried because of its thick consistency which is just like traditional butter cream frosting.
The cookies are incredibly easy to make and contain just a handful of ingredients. I like to roll out the dough and then cut it into fun shapes, but to save time you can easily just form flat cookies using your hands.
I have to be honest, the icing is a bit temperamental. If it gets too warm it quickly turns into liquid (so pop it in the fridge for a few minutes), or too cold and it becomes rock hard (microwave for no more then 3 seconds). As long as it is at room temperature it is easy to whip and quickly becomes thick, smooth and creamy.
Make sure that the cookies have completely cooled before icing them, I promise patience will pay off! I also recommend storing these in the fridge in an airtight container so that the icing stays firm, this will also keep the cookies fresh for longer (although either way I bet a batch won’t last long, they are just too good!).
I am so excited for you guys to make these cookies, I think you are really going to enjoy them, especially if you love the flavour of lemon as much as I do. Feel free to adjust the lemon and honey to make these cookies more acidic or sweet to your preference.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Lemon Cookies with Lemon Icing
- 1/4 cup coconut oil at room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest for decoration optional
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the cookies and mix until well combined. Transfer the bowl to the fridge and let the dough chill for approximately 30 minutes.
- After chilling the dough, you can shape the dough into flat cookies using your hands or alternatively roll the dough out evenly using a rolling pin to approximately 1/4 inch and cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. Gently place the cookies on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on the cookies to make sure they do not burn, I like to flip them half way through baking to ensure they cook evenly but this isn't necessary. Remove them from the oven once they are golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 15 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to completely cool.
- To make the icing combine the coconut oil, honey, lemon juice and salt in a bowl and whisk until completely smooth (you can use a hand or electric whisk for this). If the mixture becomes too liquid, place the bowl in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, top them with icing and sprinkle with a bit of lemon zest. Store the iced cookies in the fridge for about 45 minutes so that the icing firms up.