Hazelnut Butter Cookies
My baking urge usually strikes at the most unlikely of times, such as 1030pm on a Sunday. I rush to the kitchen, and as luck would have it, I am guaranteed to be out of at least one of the required ingredients. The local grocery store is usually now closed so I resort to a bowl of nuts and spend the rest of the night suffering from a major feeling of dissatisfaction.
As delicious as these Paleo Hazelnut Cookies are, it’s their versatility that really sets them apart from other recipes. Used up the last of your almond flour? Well you’re in luck, these cookies are completely free of any and all kinds of flour (almond and coconut included!). Don’t have any hazelnut butter? No problem! What do you have in your cupboard? Cashew butter? That’ll work! So will almond butter or even the much more common peanut butter, either smooth or crunchy! See, I told you these were versatile.
I used crunchy hazelnut butter for these Paleo Hazelnut Cookies which is my absolute favourite kind of nut butter. The bits of hazelnut are actually quite large which adds some nice crunchy texture. The batter looks rather unpleasant and you will be asking yourself how in the world it can possibly bake into a cookie, but it does. If the batter is too sticky place the bowl in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to help firm it up before you spoon it onto the baking sheet. I like sprinkling the cookies with a pinch of salt to really bring out the flavour but you could also top the cookies with chopped nuts or chocolate chips for all you non SCD-ers. With a start to finish time of under 25 minutes this is the perfect treat to prepare when the cookie craving hits.
Here are a few other cookie recipes that you might enjoy…
- Tahini & Honey Cookies
- Chai Spiced Cookies
- Coconut & Raisin Cookies
- Dried Cherry & Macadamia Cookies
- Lemon & Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Hazelnut Butter Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup hazelnut butter or any other nut butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In an electric mixing bowl combine all of the above ingredients and stir until well combined
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place large spoonfuls of batter approximately 2 inches apart. If you are finding it hard to remove the batter from the spoon, place the bowl in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to firm it up.
- Dip a spoon in water and gently flatten each mound of batter. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of salt.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies become golden in colour.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing them. Enjoy!