Roasted Cauliflower, Date, Red Onion & Parsley Salad
If you check my fridge at any point on any day you are guaranteed to find at least 2 heads of cauliflower. I seem to have developed a fear that inspiration for a new crazy cauliflower recipe will strike and god forbid, I will have to walk to the grocery store to buy cauliflower (which is about 40 meters from my front door).
Anyways long story short, this recipe came about from having a fridge full of cauliflower that was starting to go bad. I wasn’t planning on creating something to share on the site, but this turned out so well, I knew you guys would love it.
Cauliflower florets are tossed in paprika and oregano and then baked in the oven until tender and golden in colour.
They are then added to a bowl along with lots of fresh parsley, chopped dates for a nice kick of sweetness, crunchy toasted pine nuts and thinly sliced red onion. I absolutely love this combination of flavours, it seems like a bit of an odd mix but they taste fantastic when eaten all together. I recommend using medjool dates, but if you don’t have any then raisins would also work.
Everything is then tossed in a light lemon, tahini and apple cider vinegar dressing. I have been trying to create more Whole30 recipes, so I skipped adding any honey, but if you find this too tart, then feel free to add a teaspoon in. That being said I think that the dates are so sweet that the slightly tart dressing is a nice contrast.
Truthfully I am really not sure what to classify this recipe as. I think that it tastes just as good warm and served as a side dish as it does cold and enjoyed as a salad. I will leave this one up to you guys to decide. The leftover are delicious and will last a few days, so make extra if you can, you won’t regret it.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Roasted Cauliflower, Dates, Red Onion & Parsley SaladLeave a Review »
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup dates, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius)
- In a bowl toss the cauliflower florets in olive oil and then sprinkle with paprika, oregano and salt. Toss the florets with your hands to make sure they are evenly coated. Lay the cauliflower out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and golden in colour.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, in a bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, zest, apple cider vinegar, tahini, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, remove from the oven and place it in a bowl along with the dates, red onion, pine nuts and parsley. Pour the vinaigrette overtop and toss until all coated. Serve warm or at room temperature.