Mexican Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados
If you know me, you know that I love Mexican food and will find a way to turn just about any recipe into a Mexican inspired dish.
Chicken salad has always been a weakness of mine, there is something about the creamy dressing and crunchy textures that I can’t seem to get enough of. So when you combine my love of Mexican food, with chicken salad and then stuff it all in an avocado… I don’t think it can get much better then that.
In this incredibly simple recipe, chopped chicken is tossed with fresh cilantro, jalapenos, red onion, green onions and red pepper. Everything is then tossed in a homemade chipotle mayo. You can use store bought mayonnaise if you prefer, but I am a big fan of making mayo from scratch with just an egg, lemon juice and olive oil. It takes less then 3 minutes to make and is so easy! I have included a link in the recipe to my favourite easy mayo recipe for you guys to try.
These would be a great appetizer or side dish to serve a crowd at a BBQ (I apologize for jumping the gun, I realize its only April). The chicken salad will last 2 to 3 days in the fridge, so you can make a batch and then stuff it in avocado halves over a few days for lunch or as a healthy snack. Alternatively if you aren’t a fan of avocado then this would also be delicious eaten in salad cups.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Mexican Chicken Salad Stuffed AvocadosLeave a Review »
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper*
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded chicken (approximately 2 small chicken breasts)
- 3 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 large avocados
- Place all of the ingredients for the chipotle mayo in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the shredded chicken, chopped red onion, red pepper, scallions, jalapeño and 2 tbsp of the cilantro. Pour the chipotle mayo overtop and toss until well combined.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit from each. Use a spoon to scoop out some of the center to make the hole larger so it can hold more filling.
- Fill each of the avocado halves with the chicken salad and sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Enjoy!
- I use a dried chipotle pepper which has been soaked in hot water for about 10 minutes.