Turkey, Spinach & Caramelized Onion Breakfast Sausage
When it comes to breakfast, I have always shied away from sausage. I love the taste of it, but find that any store bought sausage is always packed with additives.
It turns out that breakfast sausage is incredibly easy to make at home. I like making a big batch of these sausage to have for breakfast throughout the week, they are a great grab and go meal to eat as you are rushing out the door each morning.
I like to keep a bag of these sausage in my freezer and quickly microwave a few for breakfast or even lunch when I am in need of some protein. You can also crumble up the sausage and put it in a frittata or omelet.
Unlike my simple Pork & Apple Breakfast Sausage, these ones have a few added ingredients including caramelized onions, which provides a bit of sweetness, and sautéed spinach. I think that ground cloves and sage are the two ingredients that transform the flavour of the patties from a hamburger to a breakfast sausage.
If you don’t have turkey, feel free to use ground pork, chicken, or a combination of the three instead.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Turkey, Spinach & Caramelized Onion Breakfast SausageLeave a Review »
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500 grams ground turkey or chicken
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp chopped sage (or dried)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced onions, sprinkle with salt and cook for 12 to 15 minutes until they have softened and begun to caramelize. Add in the spinach and cook for 2to 3 minutes until it has begun to wilt and then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients including the onion and spinach and mix with your hands to really combine everything together.
- Form the mixture into 8 to 10 patties
- Cook the patties in the skillet in 1 tbsp olive oil for approximately 5 minutes per side until golden brown on and outside and cooked through in the center.