BBQ Fruit Salad
This Grilled Fruit Salad is a fun dessert to serve at your next summer BBQ. A mix of fruit is tossed in a delicious sauce made with honey and cinnamon and then grilled until tender and caramelized on the edges. This BBQ Fruit Salad is Paleo, Vegan, Grain Free and Gluten Free.
With only a few days left in August, I am trying my hardest to maximize the last of summer. With that comes eating daily popsicles (even when it’s cloudy and cold) and finding a way to use my barbecue to cook every meal. I’m a big fan of using grilled fruit in savory dishes such as salads or flatbread but wanted to switch things up and make something sweet.
This BBQ fruit salad is the perfect combination of a fruit salad and the inside of a fruit cobbler, and it’s absolutely delicious. I made a sauce of honey, coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon and tossed the pineapple and stone fruit in it before grilling. The fruit becomes soft and slightly juicy, with a nice crunchiness on some of the burnt corners.
Although I love the flavour combination of the fruit I used, my choices were mainly driven by what I had in my fruit basket. I think that cantaloupe, peaches or watermelon would also be delicious grilled. I left the strawberries and blueberries uncooked, as I like the refreshing flavour they add to the salad, which is a nice contrast to the warm soft fruit. If you have any cherries, raspberries or grapes on hand, I think that they would also be a nice addition to the salad when tossed in fresh.
I topped the Grilled Fruit Salad with a big dollop of my guilt free lemon cream, which is quickly becoming my favourite recipe of the year (you will never guess what this stuff is made of). If you don’t have time to make the lemon cream then coconut whip or ice cream would also be good.
I made this BBQ Fruit Salad for dessert one day, and then ate the leftovers cold for breakfast the following morning and can honestly say that they tasted delicious either way. I think this would be a fun and unique dessert to serve at a BBQ, put it out on a big platter and let people serve themselves.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
BBQ Fruit Salad
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 pineapple rounds cut into thirds
- 2 plums pitted and cut into quarters
- 2 nectarines pitted and cut into eighths
- 3 apricots pitted and halved
- 10 strawberries halved
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Turn the barbecue on to high heat
- In a sauce pan on the stove on medium heat combine the coconut oil, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla extract and stir until the coconut oil has melted and the liquid begins to slightly bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon
- In a large bowl add the slices of pineapple, plums, nectarines and apricots and pour the coconut oil and honey mixture overtop. Toss with your hands to evenly coat the fruit.
- Lay the nectarines, apricots, plums and pineapple out on the barbecue and cook for approximately 3 minutes per side or until grill marks begin to show.
- While the fruit is cooking, toss the strawberries and blueberries in any of the remaining coconut and honey liquid thats left at the bottom of the bowl.
- To serve combine the grilled fruit and strawberry and blueberries in a bowl or on a platter, sprinkle with the chopped mint and serve with a bowl of coconut whip or lemon cream to spoon on top.