This Paleo Bolognese Sauce is a delicious and slow cooked just like the one my Italian Grandmother used to make. This sauce is so easy & delicious! It’s Paleo, Whole30, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
This sauce reminds me so much of the one that my Italian grandmother used to make. There are no fancy ingredients or crazy cooking techniques required to get a truly authentic Italian Bolognese, the only secret is time.
The actual hands on preparation time for making this Paleo Bolognese Sauce is less then 20 minutes, but it requires 3 hours of cooking at a slow simmer to get it to the perfect consistency and allow the rich flavours to develop.
Other then a long cooking time, the other secret to a good Bolognese is using a combination of meat. I used 2 parts beef and 1 part pork, but you could substitute the pork for ground chicken, turkey or veal for equally good results.
I used white wine in this sauce, but to keep it completely alcohol free and Whole30 compliant, you could swap the wine for an extra cup of beef stock and a tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon juice.
This Paleo Bolognese Sauce is delicious served on a base of zucchini noodles, butternut squash pasta or spaghetti squash. It also makes for a hearty packed lunch which can be quickly heated in the microwave and won’t leave you in a mid afternoon carb coma like most pasta dishes.
My freezer is always full of portions of this sauce. It is perfect for an easy dinner when you are short on time and craving something warm and comforting. This recipe makes a very large portion of sauce that can be divided up and frozen into 4 or 5 batches of dinners for two people.
Here are a few more veggie pasta dishes that you might enjoy:
- Creamy Tomato Sauce with Zucchini Noodles
- Butternut Squash Pasta with 3-Ingredient Alfredo
- Classic Beef Lasagna
- Spaghetti Bolognese Casserole
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Roasted Veggie Pasta
- Eggplant Cannelloni
- Crab, Roasted Tomato & Basil Spaghetti Squash
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pound beef
- 1/2 pound pork or veal/turkey
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup white wine * sub for 1 tbsp white wine vinegar + 3/4 chicken stock for Whole30
- 3 cans 14oz tomatoes
- In a large pot* heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add in the chopped onion, celery, carrot and crushed garlic, sprinkle with salt and sauté until the vegetables have softened.
- Add in the ground beef and pork and use a wooden spoon to crumble the meat. Cook until the meat has lost its red colour.
- Add in the almond milk and simmer until it has reduced to about half and then add in the white wine and simmer until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add in the 3 cans of tomatoes and lower the heat to low. Cover and let the sauce simmer for 2 hours, adding in 1 cup of water approximately half way through cooking.
- The sauce is done once the water is gone.