Ham & Spinach Breakfast Souffle
This Ham & Spinach Breakfast Souffle is practically foolproof to make! It’s light and airy and a great dish to make for a crowd. This souffle is loaded with ham, cheese and spinach and takes less than 20 minutes to make. This easy breakfast souffle is Grain Free, Gluten Free, Keto and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
“The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is if it knows you’re afraid of it” – James Beard
This isn’t my first attempt at making a soufflé to share with you. Nor is it my second or even third. Each attempt plays out the same. Fingers crossed, I stand in front of the oven door happily watching the soufflé rise into a light and airy puff and each time as I open the oven door it flattens into a pancake. Although the flavours are always delicious, the texture has never been quite right. I have also found photographing soufflés to be a complete nightmare as there is a 5-10 second window to get the perfect shot before it all goes horribly wrong. Intimidating, stressful and difficult are all words that nicely sum up the process of making a soufflé.
Until this Breakfast Souffle
Let me introduce you to worlds easiest soufflé. It’s fool proof for even the most novice of cooks. No more praying in front of the oven door or frantically rushing to get the souffle on the table before it falls. This Breakfast Souffle recipe is the definition of simple. Egg whites are whipped until stiff and then gently mixed with egg yolks and a ham and spinach filling. The mixture is poured into a frying pan, baked in the oven for 10 minutes and then voila, you are done. With the omission of flour and milk I find this light and airy egg based soufflé holds its shape for 10-15 minutes which is more than enough time to impress guests and even take a few photos. I love serving this Breakfast Souffle to guests for brunch as it’s a great alternative to the usual egg dishes and most of the preparation can be done in advance leaving just the whipping of eggs whites to be done before baking. Although I used spinach and ham in this recipe mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers or onions would also work well.
Here are a few more breakfast recipes that you might enjoy:
- Mexican Eggs Benedict
- Breakfast Tacos
- Greek Breakfast Frittata
- Mexican Breakfast Hash
- Ratatouille Baked Eggs
- Kale, Spinach & Mushroom Baked Eggs
If you make this breakfast souffle recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Ham & Spinach Souffle
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ham chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- salt and pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp butter or oil
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius)
- In a 9 inch oven proof skillet on medium low heat cook the spinach with a splash of water until it has wilted. Squeeze out any excess water using a paper towel and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the egg yolks, chopped ham, sauteed spinach, dijon mustard, cayenne and the cheeses (saving a small handful for later), Stir to combine
- In a separate bowl use an electric whisk to whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks (it should take approximately 2 minutes)
- Gently fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites trying not to lose the air from the whites
- Place 1 tsp of butter in the skillet and place it in the oven for 3-4 minutes until it begins to bubble. Remove the pan from the oven, and swirl the melted butter around to ensure it covers all of the surface. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until it has risen and turned golden in color. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve.