Energy Balls are the answer to all of my snacking problems. I make sure to always have a batch of these protein packed bites in the freezer so when my stomach starts to growl, or I am experiencing one of my 6pm ravenous states, they are on hand and ready to eat.
I was never very sold on the idea of an energy ball, how tasty could a ball of ground up dried fruit and nuts really be? I added lots of fresh ginger to this recipe and I can honestly say they are absolutely bursting with flavour. I have made these balls with both toasted and raw Brazil nuts and I personally think when the nuts are toasted the flavour is a bit overpowering, but try them both ways and let me know which you prefer.
These Energy Balls will last for up to a week in the fridge or for over a month in the freezer ( I personally prefer eating them frozen). They are great for satisfying a sugar craving, giving you a protein boost before a workout, a quick breakfast, or for those 6pm snack attack moments when you are desperate for something to eat but want to steer clear of any unhealthy options.
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tbsp chopped raw Brazil nuts
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ tbsp honey (or other sweetener)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- Place the dates in a food processor or blender and blend for 1 minute. Add the Brazil Nuts, shredded coconut, honey and ginger and continue to blend until all nuts/dates have broken down into uniform size and a sticky batter has formed (this can take anywhere from 1-5 minutes depending on the strength of your machine)
- Scoop out tablespoon sized amounts of the mixture and roll into balls, depending on the stickiness you can wet your hands a touch to make the balls easier to roll
- Store the balls in the fridge in a sealed container for approximately a week, or you can keep them in the freezer for a month.
Other energy ball recipes you can find on this site: