During the cold months of winter, a bowl of warm soup is guaranteed to brighten even the darkest of days. While I love a chunky soup like minestrone, I don’t think there is anything better than a creamy mushroom soup to warm you from the inside out on a cold day. Since the age of 4 I have tasted an endless array of mushroom soups and I have to admit, there have been a lot more bad then good. The bad includes anything that is too watery, lacking flavour or containing lumps of black bits that slightly resemble mushrooms. The good? The good is summarized perfectly in this soup. Its hearty, creamy and full of earthy mushroom flavour. Oh and did I mention its completely dairy free and vegan? True story.
If you prefer your mushroom soup on the chunkier side simply blend it for just 3-4 seconds until the mushrooms reach your desired size. I’ve listed button, oyster and shitake in the recipe below, but feel free to play around with other varieties like chantrelle, portobello and cremini (just try to avoid the magic ones). If you have any dried mushrooms on hand, feel free to throw in a few tablespoons, as they add great depth to the flavour. After blending everything together the mixture becomes quite thick, so you may need to add more than the 2-3 cups of vegetable stock listed below depending on how thick you like your soup. I hope you enjoy!
- 600 grams Button mushrooms, diced
- 300 grams Shitake mushrooms, diced
- 150 grams Oyster mushrooms, diced
- 3 Shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- salt and pepper
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ cup cashews which have been soaked for minimum 4 hours
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup water
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water, set aside for a minimum of 4 hours and ideally overnight.
- Sautee the shallots, garlic, butter/ghee and salt in a pan on low heat for 8 minutes until they have become soft. Add the chopped mushrooms, thyme and 1 cup vegetable stock and simmer on medium heat until the vegetable stock has evaporated. Remove 1-2 spoonfuls of the mushroom mixture and set aside to top on the soup when serving.
- Drain the cashews and place in a food processor along with the water and almond milk, blend until smooth.
- In a blender combine the cashew cream, 1 cup vegetable stock and mushroom mixture. Blend until it reaches your desired chunkiness.
- Return the mixture to a pot on medium-low heat and continue to simmer, adding the remaining 2-3 cups vegetable stock to reach your preferred consistency.
- Serve topped with the reserved mushrooms and a sprinkle of thyme