Roasted Red Pepper and Cashew Dip
A delicious Roasted Red Pepper Dip made creamy with the addition of cashews. You would never guess this dip is dairy free and vegan!
I have developed quite an addiction to dips, rarely going a day without eating some with veggies, crackers or just by the spoonful. Even in my pre diet restrictions days I preferred to make dips from scratch rather than go the store bought route. I am always amazed by the ingredient list of hummus and veggie dips sold in stores, with most containing a long list of preservatives, powders and modified starches.
This roasted red pepper dip is everything a homemade dip should be. It’s full of flavour, easy to make and contains just 4 ingredients! Red peppers and garlic are roasted in the oven for 40 minutes until they develop a rich smoky flavour and then blended with cashews, which thicken the dip and give it a smooth and creamy texture. Cashews are a great source of protein, zinc and iron and contain less fat than almost every other nut (including almonds!) making them a healthy alternative to dairy. Although 6 cloves of garlic sounds like a lot, when roasted they lose their strong flavour and become caramelized, adding a rich and slightly sweet flavour to the dip. If you prefer a stronger flavour, add a pinch of smoked paprika to the mixture when blending for a touch of spice.
I love eating this with veggies and crackers as a healthy snack or served as a sauce with chicken or fish. This dip has a long shelf life and can last for up to a week in the fridge (although I doubt there will be any left by then!)
Here are a few other dip recipes that you will enjoy…
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Roasted Red Pepper DipLeave a Review »
- 3 red bell peppers
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cups cashews soaked in boiling hot water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the peppers and peeled garlic cloves on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the peppers have wilted and the skin begins to darken. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Once cool enough to handle, remove the skin from the peppers, cut in half and take out the seeds and stem.
- Place the peppers, garlic cloves, drained cashews and 2 tbsp of water, lemon juice, salt and paprika in a blender. Blend and add more water until the dip reaches your desired consistency.