This Paleo Chicken Cacciatore is a one pan dish that is perfect for weeknight dinner. It’s packed with seared chicken which is simmered in a rich tomato, onion and pepper sauce. This Whole30 Chicken Cacciatore can be made ahead and freezes well too. This recipe is Paleo, Whole30, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I am a bit obsessed with stews at the moment, there is nothing better during the cold winter months then coming home after a long day to a big bowl of hearty warm deliciousness. I have 3 requirements for weeknight dinner 1) it has to be healthy 2) hands on prep time has to be under 20 minutes and 3) it has to taste just as good reheated the next day for lunch or dinner. This paleo chicken cacciatore easily covers all three of these points.
This Whole30 Chicken Cacciatore is incredibly adaptable to your taste. I like using chicken thighs for this kind of dish because they are cheaper than breasts and require less effort to eat then bone in legs but you can easily use any of the above. I love the saltiness that olives add to this dish which contrasts well with the sweet peppers and acidic tomatoes, but if you aren’t a fan of olives you can add in a finely chopped anchovy or alternatively just an extra pinch of salt.
Chicken cacciatore is traditionally served on pasta, but I love eating it with spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or even on its own as the sauce is so thick! This is an easy and delicious dish to add to your weeknight menu.
Here are a few other one pan chicken recipes that you will love:
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Balsamic Chicken With Figs
- Garlic Mushroom & Bacon Chicken Thighs
- Coq No Vin
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup pancetta diced
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper diced
- 1 14oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup green or kalamata olives cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley or basil chopped
- In a large pan on high heat, cook the chicken thighs in the olive oil until browned on both sides (approximately 5 minutes). Once the chicken has cooked, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the pancetta, crushed garlic and onions to the pan and cook for 3 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Place the diced peppers in the pan along with the canned tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften and lose shape.
- Return the chicken to the pot, add in the red wine vinegar, beef broth, olives, bay leaves and chili flakes. Place a lid on the pot and allow to cook for 20 minutes on medium heat, turning the heat up to high for the remaining few minutes to thicken up the sauce.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve.