Creamy Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken
I was recently eating dinner at a restaurant with someone who ordered the most amazing looking dish of creamy pasta. Penne, grilled chicken and cherry tomatoes were tossed in the most heavenly smelling creamy sundried tomato sauce and then sprinkled with basil; to say I had dinner envy would be an understatement.
So I took matters into my own hands and decided to try and create a healthy spin on the dish, minus the pasta and rich cream.
I am so happy with how this chicken turned out. The almond flour coating gives the chicken a nice golden crust and then it is baked in an almond milk based sauce that is packed with garlic, onions and sun dried tomatoes. I added in cherry tomatoes for a bit of freshness and then sprinkled everything with a load of basil.
If you are feeling like Martha Stewart then you can make your own sun dried tomatoes at home in a dehydrator. To keep things clean and SCD legal, I use the sun dried tomatoes from Whole Foods which contain just tomatoes and salt. I prefer these over the sun dried tomatoes packed in oil as I find that they often contain preservatives.
I think you guys are going to love this recipe. If you want to make it extra creamy and indulgent you could swap half or all of the almond milk for coconut milk, but I personally prefer the light and lower calorie option of just almond milk.
I used chicken breasts but I think that this would taste just as good with chicken thighs or even a white fish or prawns. You can also cut the chicken up into small pieces and serve everything over spaghetti squash.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato & Basil ChickenLeave a Review »
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Combine the almond flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and dredge the chicken breasts in the flour, making sure to evenly coat it on all sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. On medium high heat, sear the chicken breasts until golden on both sides and then transfer to a plate.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add in the sundried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, almond milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil and let cook for about 5 minutes so that the sauce can begin to thicken.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan and then place the entire skillet in the oven to bake for approximately 15 minutes until the chicken breasts are completely cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the skillet from the oven and stir in the chopped basil. Enjoy!