Super Saucy Asian Stewed Beef
I am completely addicted to stewed beef at the moment. There is just something about the ease at which it can be prepared, the melt in your mouth meat and rich flavours that keeps me on the hunt for new and creative ways to prepare it. In this recipe I used Asian flavours including ginger, onion, coconut aminos and Chinese 5 spice to create a thick and flavourful sauce that completely coats the tender chunks of beef. This is an incredibly easy dish to prepare so hands on prep is under 10 minutes, then you just put everything in a pot or slow cooker and forget about it for 2 hours. I like doubling the recipe so there are enough leftovers to last a few days, the meat becomes even more tender and tastes richer a day or two after cooking, so you can store it in the freezer for a few months without having to worry about losing flavour.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Super Saucy Asian Stewed BeefLeave a Review »
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 pounds cubed beef (chuck roast works well)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey (sub for 1 medjool date for Whole30)*
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat. Add in the cubed beef and sear on all sides. Once the beef is evenly browned, transfer it to a plate. Add in the garlic, ginger and diced onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until the onions soften and become translucent.
- Add in the Chinese 5 spice, black pepper, honey, coconut aminos and beef stock and stir before returning the cubed beef to the pot. Lower the heat to low, place a lid on the pot and allow to cook and a gentle simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- After an hour and a half remove the lid and turn the heat up to medium high. Leave to cook, stirring frequently until the sauce has reduce to a thick consistency. Serve the beef topped with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.