Full English Breakfast Traybake
Since moving to the UK I have developed an appreciation for a full English breakfast. Bacon, sausage, sautéed mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, hashbrowns and eggs, it really does have it all.
A full English is a dish I only ever order in restaurants following one very unsuccessful attempt to make it at home. There are so many different components that timing has to be perfect, otherwise you are left with a plate of cold bacon and mushy hashbrowns. If unlike me, you can master the timing, you will be left with a mountain of pots and pans to clean afterwards, and lets be honest, the last thing you want to spend your Sunday morning doing is washing dishes.
I have been doing a lot of traybake dinners recently, and wanted to see if I could make it work with a full English. I am so excited to report that it was a complete success! You only use a baking tray and a spatula, that’s it. Absolutely no other pots or utensils are required so cleaning up is a breeze, especially if you line the baking tray with tinfoil.
By skipping the frying pans and baking everything in the oven, this dish becomes a lot healthier too, with just half a tablespoon of olive oil used to prepare everything. To make this breakfast SCD legal I made the hashbrowns with cubed butternut squash, but you could easily substitute it for potato or sweet potato depending on your diet.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Full English Breakfast TraybakeLeave a Review »
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash or sweet potato
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup button mushrooms
- 5-7 strips of bacon or sausage if you prefer
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the butternut squash cubes, chopped onion and mushrooms on the baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil and salt. Toss with your hands until well coated. Spread them around the tray making spaces for the strips of bacon. Add the bacon and then bake everything in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes turn anything that looks like it might be burning and add the cherry tomatoes to the tray. Return the tray to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and create spaces for 4 eggs. Try to build up walls around each space which will help to contain the egg.
- Crack each egg on to the tray being sure that you do not break the yolk. Gently return the tray to the oven and bake for a further 4 to 5 minutes until the whites have set.
- Before serving sprinkle the tray with the chopped parsley.