Oven Roasted Salsa
Looking for an easy homemade salsa that requires minimal chopping? For this Oven Roasted Salsa the tomatoes, onions, and peppers are placed on a sheet pan and roasted in the oven and then pulsed together in the food processor, so easy! This salsa is Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free, and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I always have at least one container of salsa in my fridge, which I eat on just about everything. I previously shared a recipe I love for Spicy Green Tomato Salsa, which has really rich flavours, the result of cooking it down for almost an hour. This oven roasted salsa is much faster to prepare and doesn’t require you to spend hours chopping everything into tiny pieces (I’m looking at you salsa fresca!).
This oven roasted salsa is incredibly easy to whip up. Simply cut all of the vegetables into chunks (the size really doesn’t matter) and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes until they get nicely charred.
The burnt parts of the skins will add a delicious roasted taste to the salsa and give the flavours a bit more depth then you would get with fresh salsa. Once everything is cooked toss it all into a blender or food processor and pulse for a few seconds ensuring the texture remains nice and chunky.
If you like spicy food then I recommend adding in another 1 to 2 jalapenos, or alternatively you can stir a pinch of chili powder through the salsa once it is all blended. This salsa is a tasty and healthy condiment to keep stocked in your fridge. I love having a big scoop with scrambled eggs in the morning for breakfast, on chicken burgers for lunch or with pork tacos for dinner.
Here are a few other condiment recipes you will love:
- 4 Minute Mayonnaise + 4 Flavours
- Fast & Easy Hot Sauce
- Dairy Free Tzatziki
- Easy Tomato Ketchup
- Broccoli Pesto
- Egg Free Garlic Aioli (aka Toum)
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Oven Roasted Salsa
- 1.5 lbs ripe tomatoes cut in half
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and quartered
- 1 large onion cut into chunks
- 2 jalapeños halved
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Celsius (475 degrees Fahrenheit)
- On a baking sheet place the tomatoes, garlic cloves, slices of pepper, onion and the halved jalapeños. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, make sure to keep an eye on it to ensure the garlic doesn't burn. After 5 minutes flip the veggies and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Toss everything into the food processor along with the cumin, lime juice and cilantro.Pulse until the veggies have broken down into a chunky texture. Taste and add more lime juice, salt or cumin as required.
- The salsa will last in the fridge for 4 days.