A spicy Paleo Per-Peri Chicken dish that everyone will love! The sauce is made from scratch packed with paprika, red wine vinegar and tons of flavor! This dish is Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Diary Free, and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I have to confess, the spelling of this dish has really stumped me, is it Peri-Peri or Piri-Piri? Either way, this chicken packs a serious punch. The sauce is spicy and tangy and full of so much addictive flavour you will be forgiven for dipping anything from vegetables to a finger into the sauce.
Most peri-peri recipes call for a spatchcock chicken (a whole chicken with the backbone removed), but to save you time and the need for butchery skills, I used 4 bone in, skin on chicken breasts. I’m a big fan of this cut of meat because its super juicy and you still get all of the added flavour from the skin and bone, without the hassle of carving. That being said, you could use any cut of chicken for this recipe, from thighs and legs, to a boneless and skinless breast, it will all taste good.
This sauce for the Paleo Peri Peri Chicken is really easy to make, and you can adapt it to fit your taste by adding more chili if you are a fan of spice, or vinegar if you like things with a bit of extra tang. The longer you marinate the chicken, the more tender and flavorful it will be, ideally aiming for overnight, but as little as 4 hours will also work.
I like adding peppers and onions to the baking dish to cook under the chicken. They take on lots of flavour from the sauce and meat, and make for a super simple side dish. Be sure to reserve some of the peri peri sauce to serve warm with the meal, between dipping and pouring you’ll find it will quickly disappear.
Here are a few other chicken recipes you will love:
- Garlic Mushroom & Bacon Chicken Thighs
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Balsamic Chicken with Figs
- Coq No Vin
- Szechuan Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 4 skin on bone in chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 birds eye chillies or more depending on desired spiciness
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- In a food processor or blender combine the garlic clove, oregano, paprika, chillies, half an onion, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar and chilli powder. Blend until the chillies have broken down. Taste the sauce and add more chilli powder or chillies until the sauce reaches your desired spiciness.
- Place the chicken breasts in a ziploc bag and pour in 2/3 of the marinade. Allow to marinate for a minimum of 4 hours and preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Wash the peppers and remove the stem and seeds. Cut them into chunks and place the slices in a baking dish along with the chunks of onion.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables and bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the juices run clear. Half way through cooking brush the chicken with some of the remaining peri-peri marinade.
- Before serving warm the remaining marinade and serve on the side and sprinkle the chicken with chopped parsley. Enjoy!