Spicy Baked Salmon
I absolutely love the bold flavours of this spicy baked salmon. The salmon is coated in a spice rub and than baked low and slow in the oven until moist and flakey. It’s simple to prepare and so delicious. This salmon is Whole30, Paleo, Keto and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
Growing up on the west coast of Canada, salmon is basically its own food group (insert maple syrup and/or lumber jack joke here).
There are so many different ways to prepare salmon, grilled, poached, seared or broiled, but my absolute favourite way is to bake it low and slow.
Baking the salmon at 140° Celsius (280°F) for 30 minutes creates the most deliciously flakey and moist salmon, because in my opinion there is nothing worse than dry fish.
I love the spicy flavours in this rub. If you aren’t a fan of spicy food I recommend starting with just half a teaspoon of chili powder, tasting the mix and then adjusting the flavour depending on your preference.
Any extra salmon is fantastic enjoyed as cold leftovers with salad for 2 or 3 days after baking it. I recommend always eating leftover salmon cold, don’t reheat it as this will dry out the salmon.
This spicy baked salmon tastes just as good cold as it does warm, and would be a great dish to make ahead and serve at room temperature with salad to guests. So easy and so delicious.
Other Salmon Recipes on the site:
- Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon
- 12-Minute Herb & Mayo Salmon
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Salmon
- Salmon Nicoise Traybake
- Coconut Ginger Salmon
- Sesame Salmon
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spicy Baked Salmon
- 500 grams salmon fillet
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh fennel, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius (280 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the salmon on the baking sheet and drizzle it with 1 tsp of olive oil. Run the crushed garlic evenly over the salmon.
- In a bowl combine the paprika, pepper, chili powder, oregano and sage. Sprinkle the spices over the salmon so that it is completely coated all over. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil and then place the tray in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes.
- The salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork. Remove it from the oven and squeeze the juice from half of the lemon over the salmon. Sprinkle with lemon zest and chopped fennel before serving.