Grilled Lime & Chipotle Watermelon Skewers
I absolutely love serving grilled fruit in a savoury way, its unexpected and grilling the fruit (no matter whether it’s a peach, nectarine, pineapple or fig) completely changes the flavour and texture. Watermelon is a slightly less common fruit to grill, but I was amazed at how well it works as it develops a slightly smoky flavour and the fruits sweetness seems to be enhanced.
For this recipe I coated the watermelon cubes in a simple lime, chipotle and honey marinade which makes the watermelon both smoky, spicy and sweet, a completely unexpected flavour combination that’s absolutely delicious. I’ve made this dish a few times, and concluded that a shorter cook time is better. Cooking the watermelon on a high heat ensures that its slightly charred without becoming mushy.
Feel free to switch up the way you serve the watermelon. I really like putting the cubes on skewers, but alternatively you could slice the watermelon into wedges or alternatively grill the cubes individually and serve them with toothpicks as an appetizer.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Grilled Lime & Chipotle Watermelon SkewersLeave a Review »
- 1 small seedless watermelon (or half a medium sized watermelon)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp chipotle chili flakes (or 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder)
- 1/2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp shredded mint
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Cut the rind off of the watermelon and then slice the watermelon into 2 inch sized cubes (you will need approx 25 cubes)
- In a bowl whisk together the lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, chipotle flakes and honey.
- Heat a grill to high heat. Thread the watermelon cubes onto 5-6 skewers. Place them on the grill and brush with the sauce. Cook the watermelon skewers on 1 side for just a minute until grill marks form and then remove them from the heat.
- Brush the watermelon with any remaining sauce and sprinkle with the shredded mint and sprinkle with salt before serving.