Thai Fish Cakes
These Thai Fish Cakes are packed with white flaky fish, crunchy green beans and bold Thai flavours and served alongside a zingy dipping sauce. They are great as an appetizer or served with salad as a main. They are Whole30, Keto, Paleo and SCD Legal.
These Thai Fish Cakes are just like the ones I used to get at my favourite neighbourhood Thai restaurant. They are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle with crunchy flecks of green beans in each bite. These are a great appetizer to serve to a group, or make them into a meal served with a salad (like “Faux” Green Papaya Salad).
The fish cakes are best enjoyed right after cooking, but if you have leftovers I recommend reheating them in a skillet with a splash of oil to crisp them back up. I think you guys are going to love the fragrant flavours in these Thai Fish Cakes that comes together in under 30 minutes!
What you need to make these Fish Cakes:
- White Fish: really any flaky white dish works for these, I used sea bass and cod but halibut or tilapia would also work well!
- Egg yolks: yolks are used to bind the fish cakes and help to ensure they hold together when cooking.
- Thai Curry Paste: this is where a lot if the flavour comes from in these fish cakes. You can get Thai red curry paste at most grocery stores or on Amazon. Alternatively there are recipes you can find online like this for a simple homemade version.
- Green Beans: Small pieces of raw green beans add a nice crunch of texture to the fish cakes.
- Lime Juice
Other Thai Recipes from the site:
- Thai Curry Noodle Salad
- Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- “Faux” Green Papaya Salad
- Thai Beef Salad
- Thai Chicken Larb Salad (Larb Gai)
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Thai Fish Cakes
- 15 ounces white fish (can be a combination of sea bass, cod, halibut etc)
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp thai red curry paste
- 1/3 cup finely chopped raw green beans
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1/2 tbsp honey* (swap the honey with 1 tbsp apple juice for Whole30)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- In a food processor combine the fish, egg yolk and curry paste and blend for 4 minutes it becomes paste consistency.
- Transfer the blended fish to a bowl and stir in the chopped green beans, cilantro and lime zest.
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet on medium hight heat. Form the mixture into 1 1/2 tbsp sized balls, place them in the skillet and then flatten the balls gently with your fingers into a patty shape.
- Working in batches, cook the fish cakes for 3 minutes per side until golden and crispy on both sides and then transfer to a plate while you cook the remaining fish cakes.
- In a bowl combine the dipping sauce ingredients and stir until well combine.
- Serve the fish cakes with dipping sauce on the side for dipping.