Crispy Lemon & Herb Chicken with Fennel
I thought that this was the perfect recipe to share now that spring is finally here (well at least that’s what my calendar says, apparently the weather god’s missed the memo).
Long gone are the days of slow cooked meats and stews, spring is for dishes that are easy to make, light, fresh and full of flavour.
Chicken thighs are baked on a bed of fennel and onion and coated in a delicious lemon, garlic and herb sauce. The fennel becomes deliciously caramelized and the chicken skin gets nice and crispy. Honestly is there anything better then crispy chicken skin?
I have to confess that I have only recently discovered the wonders of bone in skin on chicken thighs. I used to be a big advocate of boneless skinless chicken breasts because they are so much easier to eat and relatively easy to cook, but also a little dull. It turns out that not only are bone-in skin-on chicken thighs cheaper, they are also so much more flavourful!
I love roasted fennel. When baked in the oven it becomes nicely caramelized which is a perfect contrast to the zesty flavour of the lemon sauce. The fennel and onions are also delicious eaten cold as leftovers or tossed in to salads, so feel free to add in more then is listed in the recipe.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Crispy Lemon & Herb Chicken with FennelLeave a Review »
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest + more for garnish
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 5 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 1 fennel bulb cut into pieces
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 1/2 lemon, cut into thin slices
- In a bowl whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, oregano, thyme and garlic.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, place the thighs skin side down in the skillet and sear for approximately 5 minutes until golden in colour. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the fennel and onion wedges in the skillet and then top with the chicken thighs and lemon slices. Pour the lemon and herb sauce over top and then place the skillet in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Half way through cooking spoon some of the liquid from the bottom of the skillet over the chicken and then return to the oven to continue cooking.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and the fennel is tender, turn the oven to broil and move the skillet to the top rack to crisp up the skin for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with lemon zest before serving