Lemon Poppy Seed Waffles
These Paleo Lemon & Poppy Seed Waffles make a wonderful breakfast or brunch and take just minutes to prepare! The combination of lemon and crunchy poppy seeds give these waffles a nice freshness of flavour.
These aren’t your average breakfast waffles! I find plain waffles to be quite bland and usually only eat them as a vessel for their toppings, but this Lemon & Poppy Seed combination changes everything! They are bursting with fresh lemony flavour and poppy seeds which give them a bit of texture. You can whip up a batch of these waffles in under 20 minutes, and they reheat well so make a double batch so there is enough to last you the week.
Why you are going to love these lemon & poppy seed waffles:
- Fresh lemon flavour: I love lemony things, and these waffles really hit the mark. Lemon cuts through the sweetness of the waffles and adds a nice freshness to each bite.
- No one will know they are grain free: Light and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside, these waffles are just like normal waffles, but grain free!
- Cook once, enjoy all week! These waffles reheat really well, just pop them in the toaster and they are warm and crisp within minutes! Perfect for a quick breakfast on a busy morning.
- They freeze well too: Allow the waffles to completely cool before freezing them between parchment paper or on a baking tray to ensure they don’t become stuck together. To reheat place them back into the waffle iron, in the toaster or in the oven until warmed through and crisp. I do not recommend reheating them in the microwave as they will become mushy
Ways to serve these waffles:
- Keep it simple: a drizzle of honey (for SCD) or maple syrup (for Paleo) is a quick and easy option. The waffles already have a lot of flavour
- Fresh fruit: I love topping them with a combination of fresh blueberries, raspberries or strawberries
- Berry compote: a fancier option is to cook 2 cups frozen or fresh berries in a sauce pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp honey until they have broken down into a compote. This is such a delicious sauce to drizzle warm or cold over the waffles.
- Coconut Whip: because everything tastes better with a dollop of coconut whipped cream on top
- Lemon Curd: Kick the lemon flavour up a notch by spooning lemon curd over the waffles.
Love these Paleo Lemon & Poppy Seed Waffles? Here are a few other pancake and waffle recipes that you will enjoy:
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Lemon & Poppy Seed Waffles with Blueberry Sauce
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups almond flour
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs until broken up and then add in the lemon juice, honey, lemon zest and almond milk. Once the liquids are well combined stir in the poppy seeds, baking soda, salt and almond flour.
- Heat the waffle iron and brush it with oil or coconut oil.
- Pour batter into the center ofthe waffle iron, and spread it slightly before closing. Cook waffles according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Serve the waffles topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.