Mexican Chicken & Rice Skillet
This Mexican Chicken & Rice Skillet is a 30-minute one pan meal that is perfect for weeknight dinner. Flavourful cauliflower rice and veggies are topped with spicy seared chicken which is all cooked in one big pan. This easy to prepare meal is Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal too!
Why you are going to love this Mexican Inspired Chicken Skillet
- Start to finish it takes just 30 minutes to make which means it’s perfect for weeknight dinner.
- It’s a one pan meal which is a huge bonus if like me, you don’t like washing dishes.
- There is no need for sides, it’s an all in one meal! The spicy cauliflower rice, veggies and chicken make for a filling dinner
- Make it your own! Feel free to modify the recipe by adding more veggies, spices or adding in black beans! I’ve included suggestions about how to modify the recipe below.
How to make this Mexican Inspired Chicken Skillet:
- Start by seasoning and searing the chicken thighs. Don’t worry if they aren’t cooked through, you just want them to develop a nice golden crust.
- Next, saute the veggies, a combination of onion, jalapeno, bell peppers and tomatoes. Once they have begun to soften chicken stock and cauliflower rice are added to the pan.
- Place the seared chicken thighs on top of the cauliflower rice and then place the pan in the oven to cook for 10-12 minutes until the cauliflower rice has softened and the majority of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve big scoops of the cauliflower rice, veggies and chicken topped with sliced avocado, salsa, cilantro, jalapenos or scallions.
Ways to modify this Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet recipe:
- Add in more diced jalapenos or chipotle if you prefer lots of spice
- If you eat black beans or corn, then definitely add some in! I’d recommend adding 1/2 cup of each to the pan when you add the diced bell peppers.
- Use chicken breasts in place of thighs. I would recommend cutting the chicken breasts in half to reduce the cook time.
- Love cheese? Stir 1/3 cup of grated cheddar into the cauliflower rice before transfering the pan to the oven to cook.
- Don’t eat chicken? You can saute large shrimp and serve them ontop of the rice in place of the chicken. I would recommend seasoning and searing the shrimp, setting them aside and only adding them to the top of the rice right before serving (don’t bake them in the oven otherwise they will be overcooked.
- Have fun with the toppings you add before serving. Salsa, guacamole, sliced avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and scallions are all delicious served on the side.
This dish reheats well, so you could cook the chicken and make the veggie cauliflower rice mix a day in advance. When it’s time to eat, place the pan in the oven to cook for 12-15 minutes until everything is warm and the cauliflower rice is tender. Leftovers will last for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can eat them on their own or cut up the chicken and serve it with big scoops of the rice in tacos (or lettuce cups).
Here are a few more Mexican Inspired recipes that you might enjoy:
- Mexican Beef Taco Salad
- Mexican Eggs Benedict
- Beef & Cauliflower Rice Mexican Casserole
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice & Chicken Stuffed Peppers
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Mexican Chicken & Rice Skillet
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 jalapenos finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion finely diced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 14oz can tomatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- sliced jalapenos
- chopped scallions
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF
- In a small bowl stir together the cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt. Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium high heat in a cast iron skillet or oven proof pan. Once hot, add in the chicken thighs and sear them on both sides (approx 3 minutes per side). Set the chicken aside on a plate once its golden in colour (don't worry about whether its cooked through)
- Increase the heat to high. Add to the skillet the diced jalapeno, garlic and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes before adding in the chopped bell peppers and cherry tomatoes. Give the veggies a stir and then add the canned tomatoes, chipotle in adobo and spices.
- Once the sauce is well mixed stir in the chicken stock and cauliflower rice and bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to simmer for 3 minutes before arranging the chicken thighs around the pan on top of the rice. Transfer the skillet to the oven to cook for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through and most of the liquid in the pan has been absorbed.
- Garnish with your toppings of choice before serving.