Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Lemon Sauce
I love when a meal which you expect to be like every other, becomes a memorable experience your thoughts linger on for years to come. It can be something as simple as a smell, a dish or the décor that just sticks with you
I had an experience like this at a tiny hole in the wall restaurant in the back streets of Tel Aviv. Metal chairs and tables, floor to ceiling tile and florescent lighting couldn’t take away from the incredible meal which forever changed my view on Israeli cooking. Within seconds of sitting down, our table was overflowing with small plates of dip, stews, lamb, chicken, vegetables and salads. The food continued to arrive in an endless stream for over 2 hours, I was in absolute heaven. Each dish (and there must have been over 25) was different from the next with varying flavours, textures and spices. One of my favourite dishes from the meal was a small plate of fried cauliflower served with tahini sauce and pomegranate seeds, which 5 years later I am finally attempting to recreate.
Following last weeks Cherry & Tahini Energy Balls (which I highly recommend you try), I was left with half a jar of tahini that was calling to me. I roasted the cauliflower to make the dish healthier, covered it in a creamy sauce of lemon, garlic and tahini and then topped it with tart pomegranate seeds, parsley and crunchy pine nuts. The flavour combination of creamy, smooth, tart and nutty all come together to create one very delicious dish. I originally planned on serving this hot, but was surprised at how good leftovers tasted straight from the fridge the following day. You can either serve this as a warm side dish, or cold salad and it can last for over 2 days in the fridge, and even longer if you store the sauce separately. This dish comes together in under 30 minutes making it a meal to spice up your weeknight routine. I hope you enjoy!
Here are a few other cauliflower recipes that you might enjoy!
- Roasted Cauliflower & Butternut Squash Tacos
- Greek Salad with Cauliflower Couscous
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Curried Cauliflower Hummus
- Creamy Cauliflower Faux-Tato Salad
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Roasted Cauliflower & Tahini Lemon Sauce
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp honey (sub for 1 tbsp orange juice if Whole30)
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until the florets begin to turn golden in color.
- While the cauliflower is baking, in a blender add the all of the ingredients for the sauce and blend until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a splash of water to thin it out.
- Once the cauliflower has cooked, remove from the oven and toss with the sauce. To serve top with the chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds and pine nuts.