Strawberry & Orange Smoothie
This simple 5-ingredient Strawberry & Orange Smoothie contains a hidden veggie! It’s creamy and refreshing and perfect enjoyed as a quick and easy breakfast or on the go snack. This smoothie is Vegan, Paleo, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
Why you are going to love this Smoothie:
- Banana, strawberries and orange is one of my favourite combinations of fruit that results in a creamy, sweet and citrusy drink.
- It contains a secret veggie! I promise that you would never have any idea that there is a zucchini hidden in this smoothie. The zucchini completely blends in with the other ingredients and is completely undetectable in taste, smell and texture.
- All you need is a handful of ingredients to make this delicious smoothie, no running out to the store to find special ingredients, you likely already have everything you need in your kitchen.
- Make ahead: Make the smoothie in advance and divide the smoothie into 2 portions and freeze. The smoothie will last up to 2 months in the freezer and can quickly be blended with a splash of almond milk before drinking.
What you need to make this Strawberry Orange Smoothie
Frozen Banana: Frozen banana is my go to ingredient for almost all smoothies. It helps to thicken smoothies as well as adding natural sweetness. I find it easiest to freeze bananas whole with the peel still on, right before using run them under hot water for 5 seconds and then twist the peel off with your hands. It’s fast and easy and there is no need to use bags/wrapping to store them in the freezer.
Zucchini: zucchini is a great veggie to add to smoothies because it’s flavour is mild and undetectable when blended with other ingredients. You can add the zucchini whole, but I find that it blends more smoothly when shredded first.
Strawberries: The star ingredient of this smoothie! I prefer to use frozen strawberries which also act as ice cubes to help make the smoothie cold and thick. If using fresh strawberries you may need to add in a handful of ice.
An Orange: Rather than using orange juice in this smoothie, adding an entire peeled orange adds flavour and helps to thicken it, plus the orange pulp is high in fiber.
Unsweetened Almond Milk: You can use any milk alternative of choice. I like using almond milk because of its mild taste and lightness. Coconut milk will give the smoothie a rich flavour and thick (even creamier) consistency.
Ways to modify this Strawberry Orange Smoothie
- Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream: although this smoothie recipe is already very thick and creamy, if you want to make it extra indulgent add in coconut milk.
- Collagen Peptides or Protein Powder: I recommend choosing a flavourless option so as not to overpower the smoothie. I have been adding collagen daily to my smoothies for years and have noticed a massive difference in the strength of my hair and nails.
- Flaxseed or Chia Seed: Although not Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal blending in a tablespoon of one, or both, of these seeds will add fiber
- Extra fruit such as pineapple, peaches, blueberries or raspberries.
- Vanilla Extract: adds an extra dimension of flavour
Here are a few other smoothie and fruity drink recipes that you might enjoy:
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Strawberry & Orange Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (approx 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 orange
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add more almond milk if needed to thin it out. Divide between two glasses and enjoy.