Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto & Roasted Veggie “Pasta”
This Paleo Veggie Pasta is made with strips of Portobello and zucchini instead of traditional noodles and topped with a delicious sun-dried tomato pesto. Low carb & healthy! This “pasta” is Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
Don’t get me wrong, I love zoodles, they are light and delicious and a fantastic healthy substitute to carbohydrate rich spaghetti. Unfortunately my spiralizer is a massive pain to clean and I usually end up with blood dripping from at least one finger so I am always keen to find easier ways to replicate pasta. I was very excited when using leftover roasted veggies, I accidentally created this veggie “pasta” that doesn’t require the use of a spiralizer or julienne.
Portobello mushrooms are one of my favourite additions to a vegetarian dish as they add some meaty substance. In this Paleo Veggie Pasta I cut grilled Portobello mushrooms and zucchini into thin strips about the thickness of penne and topped them with a rich sun-dried tomato pesto.
Most farmers markets are overflowing with tomatoes at this time of year so I have included instructions below on how to make my easy and relatively quick oven dried tomatoes (just 2 hours vs the 8 hours usually required). Feel free to use store bought sun-dried tomatoes to cut down on time, especially if you can find ones that are all natural and preservative free.
I used zucchini and Portobello mushrooms but I think grilled eggplant or peppers would also be a great addition or substitute to the Paleo Veggie Pasta. I like serving this pasta hot, but the leftovers also taste great straight out of the fridge.
Here are a few more veggie pasta dishes that you might enjoy:.
- Creamy Tomato Sauce with Zucchini Noodles
- Butternut Squash Pasta with 3-Ingredient Alfredo
- Classic Beef Lasagna
- Spaghetti Bolognese Casserole
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Roasted Veggie Pasta
- Eggplant Cannelloni
- Crab, Roasted Tomato & Basil Spaghetti Squash
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Sun-dried Tomato & Roasted Veggie "Pasta"
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (or parmesan for SCD)
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 zucchini
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan optional
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Pierce the skin of each cherry tomato and squeeze as much of the seeds/liquid out as possible. Place the cherry tomatoes on a foil lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake for 2 and a half hours, flipping half way through. Check them every 30 minutes or so to ensure they don’t burn. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool.
- In a blender or food processor combine the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, basil, salt and olive oil. Blend until smooth slowly adding the water, you may need more water depending on the thickness of the pesto. Place the pesto in a bowl and set aside
- Heat a grill or alternatively set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit). Cut the zucchini into 1/2 inch slices and remove the stem from each of the portobello mushrooms. Brush the vegetables with oil and either (1) place on the grill and cook for approximately 5 minutes or (2) on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes until the zucchini are tender but not mushy. Cut the portobello mushrooms and zucchini into thin strips approximately 1/2 an inch wide.
- Heat the pesto in the microwave until its warm and then spoon over the veggies. Stir in the chopped basil and pine nuts. Serve warm
Hello, i love all your recipes but particularily this one. Can i freeze the pesto?