I am finally back in London which means it’s time for some serious Christmas baking. Each year I excitedly wait for the arrival of December 1st, when it officially becomes acceptable to break into full blown Christmas mode (and not October 15th like Marks and Spencer is trying to have you believe).
What is full blown Christmas mode you ask? Well there are lights, lots and lots of sparkly lights, both inside and out, that would make even Sparky proud (bonus points to anyone who got that Christmas movie reference). Only the cheesiest of Christmas songs are played on my iPod, and it’s mandatory that a classic Christmas movie be watched at least once a week. The fridge should be fully stocked with eggnog at all times, and every drink, both hot and cold, must be drunk out of a Santa mug. Then there is the baking, which I will admit can get a little out of control.
After spending 2 weeks on the beach in 30 degree heat, I’m embarrassed to admit that my Christmas spirit was seriously lacking this year, not quite Ebenezer Scrooge levels, but close. Upon landing back in
Antarctica London and driving home past houses covered in lights, I slowly began to get into the Christmas groove. After setting up our tree, and with Michael Buble’s Christmas CD playing in the background I was ready to set to work on operation Christmas cookies.
These Spiced Chai Cookies are good, really good. They are chewy and have a delicious spiced chai flavour, that is created by combining all spice, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and pepper. If you like chai tea or Starbucks tazo chai lattes, I think you will be a big fan of these cookies. I used Christmas cookie cutters, but will definitely be pulling out the simple square and circle cutters to make these year round because they are so delicious. These cookies are incredibly simple to make and can be ready in under 30 minutes, start to finish. If the dough becomes too soft when cutting out shapes, place it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to slightly harden; it will make the cut out cookie dough a lot easier to handle. I hope you enjoy these delicious Chai Spiced Cookies, I think they will be a big hit with friends and family.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and combine
- Once the dough is fully mixed, form into a ball and place on a large sheet of parchment paper
- Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll out with a rolling pin until the dough is approximately ¼ inch thick
- Using a cookie cutter cut out shapes. If the dough feels too soft place it in the fridge for approximately 15-20 minutes
- Place the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies turn a golden colour
- Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before moving. Store in an air tight container