I have been trying to create a mashed cauluflower recipe for years now, and in the process have made 20+ different failed variations. Although the texture is very similar to mashed potatoes, cauliflower is incredibly bland. I found myself adding clove after clove of garlic and way too much salt, to give the dish a bit more flavour. I finally discovered that the secret to mashed cauliflower is not a specific ingredient, but rather the way you cook it. Hint: you should NEVER boil or steam cauliflower before mashing.
This cauliflower is pure heaven in a bowl. It is so much creamier then I ever imagined it could be and has such great flavour. The secret is first sautéing chopped cauliflower in a pan which brings out the rich roasted cauliflower flavour. After the cauliflower has become golden in colour, almond milk is added to the pan and left to simmer for about 10 minutes. This is when all of the amazing creaminess develops. Once all of the liquid has evaporated you can transfer the mixture to a blender, or use a hand emulsifier to puree into smooth and creamy mash.
If you are a fan of mashed potatoes I can promise that you will absolutely love this recipe. Not only does mashed cauliflower taste better then mashed potatoes, it is also a lot healthier. One small head of cauliflower contains less then 70 calories, to make the equivalent amount of mashed potatoes, you would require 4 potatoes totaling 520 calories. Although you can use almond milk in mashed potato recipes, full fat cream is often used instead to make them extra creamy and extra high in calories. Once you try this mashed cauliflower, you won’t believe that there are just 50 calories and 4 carbs per serving!
This cauliflower would make the perfect side dish for any winter feast and would be a great addition to any Thanksgiving dinner. I am so excited for you guys to give this recipe I try, I can’t wait to hear what you think!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower (1 small head)
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Cut the cauliflower into chunks, place in a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds until the cauliflower is broken into small pieces. Alternatively you can chop it by hand.
- Place the butter or coconut oil into a large skillet on medium high heat, and once hot, add in the cauliflower and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes until the cauliflower begins to turn golden in colour.
- Add in the almond milk and let the cauliflower cook for approximately 10 minutes until there is no liquid in the bottom of the pan, it should all be absorbed into the cauliflower.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until completely smooth.
- Serve warm