The Best Cauliflower Mash
This truly is the BEST Cauliflower Mash. Thanks to two simple steps the Whole30 mash has a nice depth of flavor while also being ridiculously creamy and smooth. This low carb keto mash is sure to win over mashed potato fans too! It’s Paleo, Vegan, Keto and Whole30!
I have been trying to create a mashed cauliflower recipe for years now, and in the process have made 20+ different failed variations. Although the texture is very similar to mashed potatoes, cauliflower is incredibly bland. I found myself adding clove after clove of garlic and way too much salt, to give the dish a bit more flavour. I finally discovered that the secret to mashed cauliflower is not a specific ingredient, but rather the way you cook it. Hint: you should NEVER boil or steam cauliflower before mashing.
This cauliflower is pure heaven in a bowl. It is so much creamier than I ever imagined it could be and has such great flavor. The secret is first sautéing chopped cauliflower in a pan which brings out the rich roasted cauliflower flavour. After the cauliflower has become golden in colour, almond milk is added to the pan and left to simmer for about 10 minutes. This is when all of the amazing creaminess develops. Once all of the liquid has evaporated you can transfer the mixture to a blender, or use a hand immersion blender to blend into smooth and creamy mash.
If you are a fan of mashed potatoes I can promise that you will absolutely love this Whole30 Mash, it really is the best cauliflower mash! Not only does mashed cauliflower taste better then mashed potatoes, it is also a lot healthier. One small head of cauliflower contains less than 70 calories, to make the equivalent amount of mashed potatoes, you would require 4 potatoes totaling 520 calories. Although you can use almond milk in mashed potato recipes, full fat cream is often used instead to make them extra creamy and extra high in calories. Once you try this mashed cauliflower, you won’t believe that there are just 50 calories and 4 carbs per serving!
What to serve with this Paleo Cauliflower Mash:
This paleo cauliflower mash would make the perfect side dish for any winter feast and would be a great addition to any Thanksgiving dinner. Try serving this delicious cauliflower puree as a side dish with:
- Seared Chicken Thighs in Garlic & Herb Sauce
- Slow Cooker Brisket with Balsamic Onion Gravy
- Braised Lamb Shanks
- Roasted Chicken with Flourless Gravy
- Whole30 Braised Short Ribs
Here are a few other side dishes that you might enjoy:
- Caramelized Leek, Fennel & Onion Gratin
- Roasted Fennel with Garlic & Herbs
- Lemon Roasted Green Beans with Almonds & Shallots
- Roasted Radishes
- Asian Brussels Sprouts
- Sheet Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, Bacon & Red Onion
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
The BEST Mashed Cauliflower
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower 1 small head
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Cut the cauliflower into chunks, place in a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds until the cauliflower is broken into small pieces. Alternatively you can chop it by hand.
- Place the butter or coconut oil into a large skillet on medium high heat, and once hot, add in the cauliflower and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes until the cauliflower begins to turn golden in colour.
- Add in the almond milk and let the cauliflower cook for approximately 10 minutes until there is no liquid in the bottom of the pan, it should all be absorbed into the cauliflower.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until completely smooth.
- Serve warm garnished with chopped parsley or black pepper.