Frozen Banana Bites Dipped in Vanilla & Chocolate
Before I share this recipe with you please be warned, these are good…
…I mean seriously good, and very addicting. That’s the bad news, the good news is that they are easy to make, they can be stored in the freezer for over 2 months (although I doubt there will be any left by then) and with banana being the primary ingredient it is relatively easy to convince yourself they are healthy and low in calories.
I have been experimenting with the idea of frozen banana bites for awhile now but have struggled with creating a non chocolate dipping sauce as chocolate is not allowed on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (I know, its pretty heartbreaking). I was excited to discover that macadamia nuts make the perfect base for a coating, they freeze well and do not have a strong overpowering flavour. I also made a chocolate version for friends and played around with a few different toppings/fillings which were all a hit; I sprinkled some with unsweetened coconut or chopped nuts while I topped others with hazelnut butter before coating in chocolate/vanilla.
There are so many different variations and toppings you can use. Play around with them and let me know which is your favourite.
This is the perfect treat to keep in a bag in your freezer to enjoy during the summer. Kids love these too!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Frozen Banana Bites Dipped in Chocolate & Vanilla
- 2 bananas
- 3 tbsp toasted chopped nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans etc)
- 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 tbsp hazelnut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1/2 tsp maldon salt/flaked salt
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Cut the bananas into slices approximately 1cm in width. Spoon about a teaspoon of nut butter onto 1/2 of the banana slices. Place all of the banana slices onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for a minimum of 1 hour
- Fill a pot with an inch of water and allow to simmer on medium-low heat. Place the macadamia nuts in a food processor and blend until they turn into a crumbled mixture, add in the water, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract and continue to blend until a creamy puree has formed.
- Fill a pot with an inch of water and allow to simmer on medium-low heat. Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl on top of the pot of simmering water. Stir the chocolate until it has melted and mixed with the coconut oil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Dip each banana slice in the chocolate or vanilla and using a spoon ensure all sides are coated. Place back onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with chopped nuts, shredded coconut or any other topping of choice
- Place the baking tray back into the freezer and leave for a minimum of 1 hour or until the coatings have fully hardened. Once frozen store in an airtight container or zip loc bag for up to 2 months