Asian Chicken & Noodle Soup
Spicy Asian broth with tender shredded chicken, carrots, chili and seemingly endless curly daikon noodles you can slurp them from the bowl, this soup will warm you from the inside while setting your taste buds alight. This is one of my favourite things to eat this time of year as the weather continues to get colder and the days darker.
The enjoyment I get from eating a bowl of soup increases exponentially when there are noodles. The spinach, chicken and carrots are fantastic in this soup but the best part is without doubt the daikon noodles which are long and curly and so fun to eat.
The noodles can be added to the broth 1-2 minutes before serving if you prefer them to remain crunchy, or cook them for 5 minutes to give them time to absorb the flavours of the broth and become soft.
You can season this soup to your liking by adding more fresh ginger, fish sauce for some extra salt or chili for a bit more heat.
I love making a big batch of this Paleo Asian Noodle Soup on Sundays and bringing it to work throughout the week. You can enjoy leftovers for up to 3 days and the noodles will only become more flavorful with each day as they have time to absorb the broth.
Here are a few other hearty soups that you might enjoy:
- Turkey Mulligatawny Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Asian Chicken & Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 star anise
- 1 red chili (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk (bash the white end with the back of a knife)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 carrot carrot cut into matchstick sized pieces using a julienne
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 large daikkon radish
- In a large pot heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add in the chopped garlic, ginger, chili and star anise and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the ginger and garlic become fragrant.
- Add the lemongrass stalk, fish sauce, lime juice and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes
- While the soup is simmering, julienne the daikon and carrots. The carrots should be cut into thin matchsticks and the daikon radish into long thin noodles.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, add in the carrots, scallions and shredded chicken, leave to cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the lemongrass stalks and star anise and add in the daikon noodles a minute or two before serving.
- Serve the soup topped with fresh cilantro and chopped chilies.