Caramelized Onion, Butternut Squash & Turkey Breakfast Casserole
This Caramelized Onion, Butternut Squash & Turkey Breakfast Casserole is a healthy casserole that’s great for meal prep! This loaded Whole30 breakfast casserole will have you set for easy breakfasts all week long. It’s packed with caramelized onion, butternut squash, ground turkey and spinach, so tasty! It’s Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free and SCD Legal.
If you struggle to fit breakfast into your morning rush because you barely have time to brush your teeth let alone make something to eat, then I have a recipe for you.
This Whole30 breakfast casserole will last you not one, not two, but an entire work week, ie 5 whole days of breakfasts. It can be easily transported and tastes just as good quickly reheated in the microwave or oven as it does cold from the fridge.
This casserole starts with a base of thinly sliced butternut squash which form a “quasi” crust. Although the butternut squash slices add delicious flavour, don’t worry about covering every gap in the base of the casserole dish as the slices will move once the egg is poured in.
The Whole30 breakfast casserole is then filled with caramelized onions (which lets be honest, make everything taste better) spinach and ground turkey. If you don’t have ground turkey you can easily use pork or chicken instead. The meat is spiced with sage, chili and cloves which is officially my favourite spice to add to any breakfast meat.
Eggs, almond milk and mustard are added to the casserole dish and everything is baked in the oven until firm.
This is also a great recipe to prepare for guests for brunch, you could easily make it in advance and simple reheat before serving. The only thing you need to worry about is making enough because everyone will want seconds!
Here are a few other one pan breakfast recipes that you might enjoy…
- Brussels Sprouts & Bacon Hash
- Greek Breakfast Frittata
- Ratatouille Baked Eggs
- Kale, Spinach & Mushroom Baked Eggs
- Mexican Breakfast Hash
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Caramelized Onion, Butternut Squash & Turkey Breakfast CasseroleLeave a Review »
- the long neck of a butternut squash
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500 g ground turkey or Pork or Chicken
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 3 cups spinach
- 12 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk or milk alternative
- 2 tsp mustard powder or dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and grease a 26x20cm rectangular dish (approx 8x10 inch) with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Peel the neck of the butternut squash and then cut it into thin slices. Lay the butternut squash slices in the base and sides of the casserole dish, trying to cover as much of the space as possible. Place the dish in the oven and leave the butternut squash to bake for 20 minutes until slightly soft.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add in the sliced onion, sprinkle with salt and cover with a lid. Allow them to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until they are soft and slightly caramelized. Transfer the cooked onion to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the ground turkey to the frying pan and break the meat up using a wooden spoon. Stir in the sage, chili flakes and cloves and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the spinach and stir. Once the turkey is cooked through its time to fill the casserole dish. Layer the turkey/spinach mixture and caramelized onions evenly in the dish.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, almond milk, mustard and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish and bake the casserole in the oven for 30 minutes until the egg has completely set and the casserole is firm to the touch.