Zucchini & Bacon Egg Muffins
It’s time for another easy, delicious and healthy breakfast on the go recipe to add to your repertoire. Lets be honest, who really has time to sit down mid week and enjoy eggs, pancakes and bacon before work like they do in movies.
I have a few savoury breakfast muffins on my site, some are more flour based (like these butternut squash and feta muffins) while other are much more like an eggy frittata (like these ham, spinach & cauliflower rice muffins), but these muffins are the perfect cross between the two.
This is a great make ahead recipe that I think you are really going to enjoy. Make a big batch of these on Sunday and you are set for breakfast for the entire week.
Feel free to swap out the filling ingredients, the zucchini can be swapped for broccoli or spinach and the bacon could be replaced with ham, sausage or ground meat.
Make sure that you get as much water out of the shredded zucchini as possible. I find that salting the zucchini and then letting it rest for 10 minutes in a sieve is the easiest way to extract the moisture. I also recommend squeezing it between paper towels before adding it into the muffin tins.
I tried a new trick when making this recipe that I was really happy with. I cracked the eggs into a blender and pulsed to break up the yolks and whites, which was much easier then whisking everything. I found that this also resulted in fluffier batter.
Make sure that you grease the muffin tin really well so that the mixture doesn’t stick. I find that using the excess bacon grease left in the pan works well and adds a bit of extra flavour.
I think that you guys are really going to love these muffins. They are perfect as a healthy on the go breakfast, lunch or afternoon snack. They are flavourful enough to enjoy on their own, but are also delicious served with hot sauce.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (approximately 2 small zucchini)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon (approx 5 slices)
- 2/3 cup almond milk (or other milk alternative for nut free)
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Using a cheese grater, shred the zucchini and then place it in a sieve. Sprinkle with salt and leave to sit for approx 10 minutes. The salt should draw some of the moisture out of the zucchini.
- Cook the bacon in a small frying pan until crispy. Once cooked, chop the bacon into small pieces. Using a paper towel, place it in the pan to absorb some of the excess bacon grease and then spread it around the muffin tins to grease them (you could alternatively use cooking spray instead)
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, almond milk, mustard, garlic, chilli powder, pepper and coconut flour. Stir until very well combined
- Firmly press on the zucchini to try and remove as much excess water as possible. Divide the bacon, red onion and parsley between the 12 muffin cups. Pour the liquid egg mixture evenly into each of the cups filling 2/3 of the way and then top with the shredded zucchini. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. The muffins are done when they are golden in colour and the tops are completely dry.