Apple Cinnamon Muffins Topped with Pecans
About a month ago I decided to explore uncharted territory and make my first batch of grain free muffins. My experiment resulted in these Rhubarb & Orange Muffins which turned out incredibly well and three batches later (they were just that good) I decided it was time to try out a different type of muffin.
Apple and Cinnamon has always been one of my favorite flavor combinations, and after finding a few bags of apples hiding in the back of my fridge I decided to give it a go. I have to be honest it was not smooth sailing. For my first batch I only used chopped apples which resulted in a lumpy muffin which crumbled when picked up.
On my second batch I shredded all the apples which made the batter too moist causing the muffins to never fully cook in the center no matter how long I baked them for. Finally on batch number three I got it just right. The muffins are moist and packed with flavor and have just the right amount of apple chunks to add texture without altering the overall consistency of the muffins.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Apple Cinnamon MuffinsLeave a Review »
- 2 1/2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 egg
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup apple sauce see below
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup of chopped apples approx 2 small apples
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Start by making the apple puree. In a pot on medium low heat simmer the apples in water for approx 10-15 minutes or until all of the water has evaporated and the apples are soft. Once cooked using a potato masher or fork, roughly smash the apples until they form a chunky puree.
- Peel and core approximately 2 small apples. Using a cheese grater, grate the apples to equal 1 cup.
- In a mixing bowl combine the almond flour, eggs, coconut oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, apple puree, honey and salt. Once completely combined add in the shredded apple as well as 3 tablespoons of the chopped pecans. Stir.
- Line a large muffin tray with paper cups and fill each with batter. This should make approximately 9-10 muffins.Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the remaining chopped pecans.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean