Chunky Monkey Muffins
Once a month I engage in a standoff with the bananas on my kitchen counter. I spend up to 2 weeks waiting for them to reach the perfect ripeness (mostly brown spots with only the tinniest bits of yellow left) which lasts for a short period of time before they turn to the dark side and begin to resemble compost. I get a bit obsessive, daily monitoring their progress and yelling at anyone who even thinks about eating one or throwing them away.
If you aren’t able to find unsweetened banana chips in store you can make them at home. Slice 2 bananas and lay them out evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 100 degrees celsius for 2½ hours or alternatively you can also use a dehydrator.
These muffins are the result of a freezer full of banana bread, 4 perfectly ripe bananas and the need for a bit of creativity.
There is a lot going on here, shredded coconut, crunchy walnuts, collops of almond butter, chunks of banana and a topping of chewy pieces of dried banana. These muffins are very moist, and packed with different textures and flavours. Try to only use ripe bananas, they don’t have to be perfectly ripe, but just make sure they aren’t hard as you will miss out on some amazing banana flavour.
You can store the muffins in a sealed container for a week or freeze them for over a month. I find that almond flour products freeze very well and remain moist when thawed, unlike wheat flour products which often dry out (that’s another point on the board for almond flour!).
These chunky monkey muffins are great for breakfast, as a snack or even dessert and with so many different flavours in each bite there is no need to smother them with jam or any other unhealthy spread, au natural is the way to go.
Here are a few other way muffin recipes that you might enjoy:
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Zucchini, Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins
- Rhubarb & Orange Muffins
- Cranberry, Orange & Pecan Muffins
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Chunky Monkey Banana Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened banana chips * cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a muffin tray with liners
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, honey, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, 2 bananas and shredded coconut and using an electric mixer blend until well combined
- Break the remaining banana into pieces and add to the batter along with the walnuts, stir lightly until just combined but do not over mix as you want the banana to remain in chunks
- Fill each muffin cup half full with batter and then place two small dollops of almond butter on top and then top with more batter. Fill the muffin cups to the top with batter and make sure that it is really firmly packed in. Top each muffins with the banana chips.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.