Butternut Squash & Kale Curry
This Butternut Squash & Kale Curry is an easy to make curry that’s perfect for weeknight dinner. It takes just 30 minutes to prepare and is a great meat free dish that both vegans and carnivores will enjoy. This Butternut Squash Curry is Vegetarian, Vegan, Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I absolutely love curry, there is something about the rich blend of spices that I find incredibly comforting. This isn’t an authentic curry but a great 30 minute option if you are looking for something quick and easy to make for weeknight dinner. It’s also vegetarian but is surprisingly filling thanks to the roasted butternut squash and rich curry base. It took me a few tries to get the flavours of this recipe just right, and I found that roasting the butternut squash cubes in the oven, rather than cooking them in the curry liquid, was a key step in nailing the dish. I find that the flavours only improve after sitting for a day, so don’t hesitate to make extra, these are leftovers that you won’t want to miss.
Why you are going to love this curry
- The warming combination of rich flavours including coriander, turmeric, garam masala and curry powder are so comforting and truly warm you from the inside out
- This curry takes just 30 minutes to make which means it’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner
- It’s vegan but the butternut squash makes it hearty enough to satisfy a hungry carnivore.
- It freezes well, so make extra to have on hand for a quick weeknight meal
Tips for making this Butternut Squash Curry
- Buy precut cubed butternut squash to drastically cut down prep time.
- If the curry is still quite liquidy, make sure that the heat is on high when reducing it (step 4) to help the curry thicken
- When making curry I like to taste test after every step to ensure that I am happy with the blend of flavours (and especially spices). Don’t be scared to add more of something (such as coriander or curry powder) to suit your taste
- I recommend using full fat coconut milk for a richer curry but light works if you are looking for ways to reduce calories or fat
- Serve this curry with a side of cauliflower rice (or rice for anyone not following a restrictive diet) to soak up any excess sauce
Ways to modify this recipe
- Use sweet potato in place of the butternut squash
- Swap the kale with spinach, just reduce the cooking time after adding the spinach in from 4 minutes down to 2.
- Kick up the spice by adding more chili, or for the spice adverse, tone it down by only adding half a chili
- Add some meat: add diced chicken to the pot prior to step one and sauté until it is cooked through. Alternatively to cut down on cook time you could add in cooked shredded chicken when you add in the kale.
How to store this Butternut Squash & Kale Curry
This curry will last for up to 4 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or in a pot on the stove with a splash of coconut milk. Store the curry in an airtight container or bag in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Here are a few more hearty vegan recipes that you might enjoy…
- Roasted Cauliflower & Butternut Squash Tacos
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Lentil Ragu
- Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- Creamy Tomato Sauce with Zoodles
- Celery Root Risotto with Kale & Butternut Squash
- Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Butternut Squash & Kale Curry
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 inch ginger root finely diced
- 1 birds eye chili pepper finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bell red pepper cut into small pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (400ml can) coconut milk
- 1 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded curly kale
- 4 lime wedges (optional garnish)
- 1 tbsp chopped cashews (optional garnish)
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit (200º Celsius)
- Place the cubed butternut squash on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with 1 tsp coriander and 1/2 tsp salt. Roast the butternut squash for 20 minutes in the oven until tender and golden in colour.
- In a large pot heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat. Add in the diced onion, garlic, ginger and chilli pepper and sauté for 4 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Once the onion has softened add in the curry powder, turmeric, coriander and pepper and stir before adding the bell pepper, coconut milk, canned tomatoes and vegetable stock. Leave to cook on high heat for 10 minutes to help the flavours develop.
- After 10 minutes the liquid will have reduced by 1/3. Add in the shredded kale and leave to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Once the butternut squash is done roasting, remove it from the oven and add it into the pot. Stir and leave to simmer for 1 minute. Serve the curry warm with cauliflower rice and garnish with cashews, cilantro and lime wedges.