Hawaiian Chicken Burgers
These Hawaiian Chicken Burgers are a great way to switch up your usual chicken burger. The patties are packed with spices and red onion and served on a slice of grilled pineapple with crispy bacon, grilled red onion slices and drizzled with a spicy chipotle sauce. They are so flavourful and Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free and Gluten Free.
In my opinion when it comes to burgers, the toppings are the deciding factor between an average burger and an amazing burger. More specifically, the messier the burger is to eat, the tastier it usually is. Case and point, these Hawaiian Chicken Burgers which is so flavourful and delicious and requires at least 4 napkins to eat.
These Hawaiian Chicken Burgers are a cross between my all time favourite pizza, Hawaiian Pizza, and a chicken burger. It starts with a slice of juicy grilled pineapple, and is then topped with crisp bacon, a flavour packed chicken patty, tomatoes, grilled red onion and finally a spicy chipotle mayonnaise. There is so much flavour!
I find ground chicken hard to find in grocery stores here in the UK, so I usually just toss a couple of chicken breasts into a food processor and pulse them into a mince. It’s super easy and often times cheaper then buying the meat already ground.
The patties are packed with chopped red onion, garlic, cumin, paprika and coconut aminos to give them a nice spiced flavour. Although cooking these on a BBQ is great, if you don’t have access to one, a grill pan works just as well. This is the grill pan I use and I love the charred grill marks it leaves on food, just like a BBQ! If you have a large enough grill, you can cook the pineapple, red onion and chicken patties all at the same time.
The chipotle mayonnaise is so good I don’t think there is a need for any other condiments (put down the ketchup!). It’s spicy and has a slight smokey flavour which goes so well with these burgers.
I ended up having enough leftovers to enjoy over a few days. I chopped up the patties and pineapple and tossed everything into a salad and used the chipotle mayo as a dressing, it was so tasty!
Here are a few other burger recipes that you might enjoy:
- Mexican Chicken Burgers
- Shrimp Burgers
- Loaded Hamburgers with Special Sauce
- Lemon & Herb Salmon Burgers
- Greek Lamb Burgers
- Cajun Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Hawaiian Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 pineapple peeled and cut into 6 1-inch slices
- 1 red onion cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 head lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato cut into slices
- 4 slices bacon cooked until crisp and cut in half
- To prepare the chipotle mayonnaise, combine the ingredients listed in a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the ingredients for the burgers and use your hands to mix it together. Shape the mixture into four patties approximately 3/4 inch in thickness around the outside and slightly thinner in the middle for more even cooking.
- Heat a barbecue or grill pan to medium high heat and brush with oil. Depending on the size of your grill, start with the red onion and pineapple and grill each for approximately 3 minutes per side until soft and grill marks form. Once cooked set aside. Next add the patties and cook for 4 minutes per side until they are completely cooked through.
- To prepare the lettuce "buns" cut the iceberg lettuce into quarters and pull the leaves out from the inside to separate each quarter into two halves.
- To assemble the burgers spread the chipotle sauce on the inside of the lettuce. Top with a grilled slice of pineapple, 2 pieces of bacon, chicken patty, slice of tomato and the grilled onion. Drizzle with more chipotle mayo and finally place the other half of the lettuce leaf on top like a sandwich. Wrap the burger in parchment paper to make it easier to eat.
Hello! This is the first recipe of yours that I have tried and I am very pleased with the results!! Next time I will have to double it for left overs. Very flavorful!! Thank you so much. Can’t wait to try your other recipes!
I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the burgers! Thank you so much for leaving a comment and please let me know if you try any other recipes from the site!
Pingback: These Hawaiian Chicken Burgers are just what I need to get through the last few … – Keto Diet
Pingback: These Hawaiian Chicken Burgers are just what I need to get through the last few … – Start Keo
This was fantastic! I didn’t make the sauce as I already had some homemade spicy mayo on hand and didn’t have any chipotles anyway. The burger had such great flavour and the toppings added the perfect touch! Cooked it in my cast iron pan as my ground chicken was very lean and finely ground and wouldn’t have held up on the grill. Even my toddler loved it!
Pingback: Top 10 Whole30 Burger Recipes – My Gourmet Choice