Cauliflower Faux-Tato Summer Salad
This salad brings back so many great memories of my summers spent in the garden with my Mom picking the never-ending supply of vegetables and fruits she would grow.
This recipe is a spin on a salad that she would make at least once a week for dinner. We would go out into the garden and pick the green beans, tomatoes, asparagus, fresh basil, parsley, and potatoes for the salad and through it all together into one delicious dish. Instead of using potatoes, I swapped the starchy vegetable for oven roasted cauliflower which has the same tender texture and flavour as boiled new potatoes. I am really happy with how closesly this resembles a potato salad, without containing a single one. And best of all, the cauliflower florets absorb the vinaigrette adding even more flavour to every bite.
This salad is fresh and tastes just like summer with bursts of flavour from the fresh basil, chopped onion, sweet cherry tomatoes and garlicky vinaigrette. If you have other garden vegetables such as snow peas, fresh corn (not SCD legal) or red peppers they would also be great in this dish.
This salad lasts for about 2 days in the fridge although I would recommend only adding the dressing before serving. It’s a great salad to bring to serve at a summer barbecue alongside grilled meat or fish.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Cauliflower Faux-Tato Summer SaladLeave a Review »
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus approx 15 spears, cut in half
- 3/4 cup green beans cut in half
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp mustard powder or dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the cauliflower head into bite sized florets and place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the cauliflower florets are slightly tender and golden but not mushy. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Bring a shallow pan of water to a boil and add the asparagus and green beans. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. While the beans and asparagus are cooking prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water.
- As soon as the vegetables are done, plunge them in the ice bath to completely cool.
- In a bowl or blender mix all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl combine the asparagus, green beans, halved cherry tomatoes, cauliflower florets, red onion and chopped fresh basil. Top with the vinaigrette and toss until well combined. Serve