Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup is so deliciously creamy and packed with shredded chicken and chunks of veggies. It has all of the creaminess and flavours of traditional Chicken Pot Pie, but is Dairy Free! Pureed cauliflower gives this soup it’s creamy consistency making this soup low calorie, Whole30, Paleo, Keto and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal!
This soup is pure comfort. It has chunky vegetables, tender shreds of chicken and a deliciously creamy base, all the best parts of traditional chicken pot pie. For all of the pie crust fans out there, I promise that this soup is so delicious and easy to make, that you won’t miss the pastry. Plus who really wants to mess around with grain free pie crust when the rest of this recipe is so simple and comes together so quickly.
Traditional Chicken Pot Pie is made with heavy cream and flour. This Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup tastes EXACTLY the same, but is made using my go to vegetable for just about every recipe, Cauliflower! By cooking the cauliflower in chicken broth and then pureeing it with almond milk, it becomes incredibly creamy, the perfect base for chicken pot pie soup.
I used leftover chicken I had in the fridge, but rotisserie chicken would also work well. Alternatively, bake 2 chicken breasts in the oven for about 30 minutes and then shred them. If you are doing a Whole30 like so many are this time of year, then the green peas can be swapped for green beans to make this Whole30 approved. That being said even if you aren’t on Whole30, green beans would be a delicious addition to this soup.
I made a double batch of this soup and have frozen it into small portions for an easy lunch or dinner to last me through winter. I’m really excited for you guys to give this paleo chicken pot pie soup a try, I think you are going to love it!
Here are a few other hearty soups that you might enjoy:
- Turkey Mulligatawny Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp thyme chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup peas
- 2 chicken breasts shredded (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large pot on medium heat along with 1 cup of the chicken stock (you want enough stock to almost cover the florets, so you may need to use more stock depending on the size of your pot) cover and steam the cauliflower until very tender. Transfer both the cauliflower and any remaining liquid in the pot to a blender. Add in the almond milk and 1 cup of chicken stock and blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pot along with the crushed garlic and onion and cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add in the celery, carrots, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour the remaining 1 cup of chicken stock into the pot and let everything simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the carrots become tender.
- Add in the peas, shredded chicken and the cauliflower puree and cook for another 5 minutes until everything is warm. If the soup is too thick add in more chicken stock until it reaches your desired consistency (I prefer mine to be quite thick and chunky).
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving