Beet & Walnut Dip
I’m always on the look out for new dip ideas and seem to have at least two containers of dip in my fridge at all times. Whether its butternut squash, roasted red pepper or zucchini hummus, dips are my favourite easy snack to reach for when I am hungry, they are quick, healthy and most importantly, tasty.
This beet and walnut dip is going to be a staple in my fridge this summer. It’s fantastic served with vegetable sticks for dipping, or you can serve dollops of it on cucumber or radish rounds as a fun appetizer.
It is creamy and has a subtle earthy flavour thanks to the tahini and walnuts. I like serving it topped with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts for some added texture.
I love the vibrant colour of this dip. That being said, as gorgeous as the colour is, be careful when peeling the beets as this stuff really stains. I found that it actually took me a few washes to get the colour off of my hands, and I now have an unintended bright pink dish towel, whoops!
If you want to save time, feel free to buy pre cooked beets. In this recipe I suggest buying raw beets and baking them in the oven wrapped in tin foil.
You can also cook them in a pot of boiling water, but I personally prefer the richer flavour they develop when oven roasted.
I recommend pulsing the walnuts and cumin seeds in the food processor before adding the remaining ingredients to ensure that there are no larger sized chunks in the dip.
This Paleo Beet Dip will last for about 5 days in the fridge but also freezes well. If you have any leftovers you could stir it into pasta as a sauce, or serve it as a condiment on burgers or sandwiches.
Here are a few other dip recipes that you will enjoy…
- Butternut Squash Dip
- Dairy Free Tzatziki
- Roasted Zucchini Hummus
- Roasted Carrot Dip
- Baba Ganoush
- 4-Ingredient Pea Dip
- Curried Cauliflower Dip
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Beet & Walnut Dip
- 2 large beets (2 cups chopped)
- 1 1/3 cups walnuts
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Scrub the beets to remove any dirt. Wrap each beet in tin foil and place them in a baking dish. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until tender.
- Once the beets are done, allow to slightly cool before peeling off the outer skin. Chop the beets into pieces.
- In a food processor blend the walnuts and cumin seeds until broken down into crumb sized pieces. Add in the remaining ingredients including the chopped beets and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust and season with more salt, lemon juice or tahini as desired.
Leave a Reply