Thai Butternut Squash Soup
This Thai Butternut Squash Soup is deliciously rich and creamy with a nice kick of spice. It takes just 30 minutes to make and is a wonderful winter soup that freezes well too! It’s Vegan, Vegetarian, Whole30, Paleo and SCD Legal.
This is one of my absolute favourite soups that brightens even the darkest of winter days. Coconut and pureed butternut squash give this soup a smooth and creamy texture which makes it seem so much richer than it actually is. This soup is full of asian flavours including ginger, lime and cilantro which combined add great depth to each bite.
What you need to make this Thai Butternut Squash Soup:
- Butternut Squash: Pureed butternut squash is the base of the soup and gives it a rich flavour that is slightly sweet and sooo good.
- Red Curry Paste: this is where a lot the rich flavour comes from in this soup. You can get red curry paste at most grocery stores or on Amazon.
- Coconut Milk: Canned coconut milk is used to give the soup a delicious creaminess that would normally be achieved with dairy. Either full fat coconut milk or lite coconut milk both work for this recipe.
- Ginger: I like adding the ginger in two parts, at the beginning with the onion and celery and then more at the end of cooking. This ensures that the soup has a nice gingery kick to it
- Lime Juice: This helps to cut through the rich creaminess of the coconut milk and butternut squash
Here are a few other vegetarian soups that you will enjoy…
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Chunky Onion Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Apple & Celery Root Soup
- Creamy (or not) Tomato Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 butternut squash (4 cups cubed)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (plus more to thin out the soup if desired)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- handful of cilantro as garnish optional
- In a pot over medium heat saute the chopped onions, celery, garlic and 1 tablespoon of ginger in the vegetable oil until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes
- While the vegetables are cooking, using a vegetable peeler remove the skin from the butternut squash, de-seed and then cut into 1 inch cubes
- Transfer the squash into the pot and pour in just enough stock to cover the squash (approximately 3 cups). Stir in the curry paste. Cover and let simmer on medium-high heat for 20 minutes until the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp ginger in with the butternut squash and use an immersion blender to blend the squash into a puree (or alternatively transfer to a blender and blend)
- Add the coconut milk to the butternut squash puree along with the lime juice. Depending on your desired consistency add in 1 cup more vegetable stock to thin out the soup.
- Let the soup simmer for another minute or two. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.