There are so many delicious components to these wraps; rich lamb meatballs, creamy dairy free tzatziki, zucchini hummus and crunchy cucumber all wrapped up in a collard leaf!
When it comes to minced meat, I think lamb is the king of all ground meats, super moist and rich in flavour. In this recipe the lamb is seasoned with cumin, coriander and lots of chopped mint. The lamb meatballs can be grilled on the barbeque during this time of year when the weather is nice, or in the winter you can bake them in the oven.
The meatballs are topped with garlicky tzatziki and hummus. You can use any kind of hummus you like, I made my roasted zucchini hummus which is completely free of beans and therefore Paleo/SCD. This is one of the first recipes I ever posted on the blog and its still one of my favourite dips. For the tzatziki I tried a few different dairy free variations, and this is definitely the best one in both taste and consistency (unlike the coconut cream version which had great texture but a rather unpleasant taste). This tzatziki is smooth and creamy with lots of shredded cucumber and delicious garlic, mint and lemon flavour. Both dips can be kept for 2-3 days in the fridge and served with veggies or alongside another meat such as chicken or beef.
I normally use iceberg lettuce to make any form of a grain free wrap but was really excited when I saw collard greens in my grocery store for the first time and decided to give them a try. Collard leaves are incredibly sturdy and can be packed full of filling without self-destructing in your hands after the first bite. Collard greens are a part of the cruciferous family and are high in Vitamin A, C and K and have been credited with lowering cholesterol as well as inflammation. I prefer to eat the leaves raw, but they can also be quickly blanched (Mind Body Green has very easy to follow instructions on how to blanch collard greens which you can find here). Happy wrapping!
- ⅔ cup cashews (soaked for minimum 4 hours)
- 3 crushed cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup shredded cucumber
- ¼ tsp salt
- 800 grams minced lamb
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup shredded mint
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Roasted Zucchini Hummus
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 collard leaves,
- In a food processor or hand held blender combine the cashews, garlic, mint lemon juice and water. Blend for 2-3 minutes until the cashews have completely broken down into a creamy consistency. Place the tzatziki in a bowl and stir in the shredded cucumber. Season with salt and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place the ground lamb, cumin, coriander, crushed garlic, mint and salt and pepper in a bowl and mush together using your hands until the spices are evenly distributed throughout. Using an ice cream scoop or soup spoon, form balls with the mince and flatten with your hand until they are approximately an inch thick. They can be placed on a baking sheet and baked at 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes or alternatively,grilled on the BBQ on medium high heat for 8 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Wash the collard leaves and use a knife to thinly shave off the stem, focusing primarily on the end where its thickest.
- To assemble the wraps spread a large spoonful of hummus in the centre of the collard leaf, top with cucumber, tomatoes, 2-3 lamb meatballs and tzatziki. Wrap the collard leaf up like a burrito and secure using a toothpick.