Over the years I’ve experimented with different ways of preparing Brussel sprouts and discovered they are so much more then just a turkey dinner side dish and should be enjoyed throughout the fall and winter.
When trying to come up with a creative way of preparing Brussel sprouts I turned to one of my favourite salads, Caesar salad, a guaranteed crowd pleaser. The most time consuming part of this recipe is thinly slicing the Brussel sprouts but it’s worth the effort and can be done a day or two in advance. The shaved Brussel sprouts are then quickly sautéed to soften them and then tossed in a dairy free creamy Caesar salad dressing.
If you are not following a SCD/paleo diet you can use bread croutons or baked chickpeas, but my favourite SCD legal crouton alternative is oven baked pumpkin seeds which have a nice crunch. I season the pumpkin seeds with salt and lots of pepper but you could toss them in garlic, chilli powder, thyme or oregano, the options are endless.
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 500 grams brussel sprouts
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast*
- juice from half a lemon
- 2 tbsp parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius (350 degrees farenheit)
- On a lined baking sheet toss the pumpkin seeds with 1 tsp of olive oil and the salt and pepper until they are all well coated. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until crisp and golden in colour.
- Wash the brussel sprouts and cut off any thick stems. Using a sharp knife finely cut the brussel sprouts into thin slices.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat add 1 tsp oil. Once hot add in the shaved brussel sprouts and cook for 5-6 minutes until soft. Remove the brussel sprouts from the heat and place on a plate to cool.
- In a food processor or blender combine all of the ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth. Taste and add more balsamic vinegar, lemon or mustard as required.
- Before serving toss the shaved brussel sprouts with the parsley, dressing and pumpkin seed croutons. Top with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese before serving. Enjoy!