I am always on the hunt for creative breakfast recipes that can be made a few days in advance and eaten on the go. Muffin tin frittatas are a great option but I have to confess that I am really not a fan of their eggy texture, especially when you can’t mask it with lots of cheese.
These Cauliflower Rice Breakfast Muffins are a cross between a mini frittata and a muffin thanks to the addition of riced cauliflower. The cauliflower helps to give these a light and airy texture, which I really enjoy, especially when compared to the density of a frittata.
I packed the muffins with ham and spinach, but they could easily be made vegetarian by swapping the ham for sautéed mushrooms or butternut squash.
One or two of these muffins make for a great protein rich breakfast on the go. I also like making these in mini muffin tins for bite sized snacks I can enjoy throughout the day. They are delicious eaten warm or cold, on their own, or dipped in ketchup. These muffins will last about 5 days in the fridge, so make a batch on Sunday and you are set for the week.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk (or other milk substitute)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1½ cups cauliflower rice, blended quite finely
- 1¼ cups diced ham
- 1½ cups spinach, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Spray a muffin tray with cooking spray or alternatively generously wipe melted coconut oil over each muffin cup.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, almond milk, salt, pepper and mustard powder. Add in the cauliflower rice.
- Place a spoonful of the ham and spinach into the bottom of 9 muffin cups. Pour the egg and cauliflower mixture over top of each and then top each muffin with the remaining ham and spinach.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the edges are lightly browned and the tops are fully set.
- Run a spatula around each muffin to loosen and then place on a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!